Monday, April 14, 2008

Cambodian people celebrate their traditional New year

Food offering for the monks
Bathing the statue of Lord Buddha

13 April 2008
By Uk Sav Borey
Radio Free Asia

Translated from Khmer by KI-Media

The traditional New Year celebration by the Cambodian people is starting from today. Along various pagodas, the sound of monks chanting can be heard to commemorate those who have departed, and also to ask for well being.

Ms. Im Roeun, who is listening to monks chanting at the Wat Champuvoan pagoda, said that, as a custom and tradition for Cambodian people, prior to the New Year, those who remember their parents, grandparents, usually bring food as offerings to the monks and they pray to commemorate the spirit of those who have departed from this world. “During this celebration season, they have to come (to the pagoda) for the sake of their ancestors, they cannot miss it,” she said.

Pot Vann said that his parents and siblings died and he brought food to offer to the monks, and he hopes that his good deeds will benefit the spirit of his loved ones who died during the Pol Pot regime. He is also asking that all bad karmas (sins) be released from everybody: “I am (coming) to commemorate (my ancestors), let me be successful in my business, and let me be prosperous during this upcoming year.”

Pech Vannara, a young girl, said: “During the New Year day, I am coming to the Wat Champuvoan pagoda to build the sand mountain, to bathe the statue of Lord Buddha, and to bring foods for the monks to commemorate the spirits my grandparents, as well as all the seven generations of my relatives (who have departed from this world).”

Puth Uddam, a young boy, added that he came to celebrate with his parents and commemorate for his grandparents who died, he is asking that their spirits will bless him so that he study well in school and that he passes his exams: “I came to the pagoda to bathe the statue of Lord Buddha and to build the sand mountain to free myself from all my sins.”

After offering their foods to the monks, children and adults alike went to bathe the statue of Lord Buddha.

A lady, Neam Nek, who came from Prey Trea village and who is busy building the sand mountain, said: “I am leaving all my karmas (sins) with this sand mountain.”

Sok Lim, a member of the Wat Champuvoan pagoda committee, said that during the first day of the New Year celebration, pagoda members brought a huge amount of foods for the monks. He said that, in spite of the rising inflation, the foods brought as offerings to the monks are more plentiful than last year.

Buth Khin, a criminal police officer from Chom Chao commune, said that police officers are taking turn providing security to the people, and preventing thefts and robberies, fighting or problems against the New Year revelers.

Streets in the city of Phnom Penh are much quieter than usual. Some houses and state buildings are hanging up the Cambodian national flag along with a banner stating “Happy New Year”. However, along shops and private schools, no decoration and banners can be seen, unlike during the first of January celebration.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Bâr pith Preah Srei Ar Métrei dor chhea ti poeng pum nak troeuy trann rou sampoav neiy prâchhea chhun khmer,som kunn bonn bârmei preah ang chhuoy thê raksar kaun chaov ory chhuop tê sechkdei sok krorpp pél vélear paul koër:"Peace,Independence,Justice"

"SÄDHUVO ANUMODATHA"

http://www.khmernetradio.com/saturday-song/chamrieng-boss-chhoong

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=zK0rO-ZMUso&feature=related

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=axCSr7U3tBE&NR=1

Anonymous said...

May gods bless Cambodian people!

Anonymous said...

Happy Khmer New Year.

It is the Vietnamese intention to come and not blend in with Khmer in Nom Penh. They to come in and take control of Nom Penh. That's why we don't see much celebration at those individual shops and others.

They are trying to change our tradition and culture from within. Khmer people we need to wake up and use our resources, "People Power!"

May the new year bring us there.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I thought female can't touch the Buddha statues.

Anonymous said...

9:58PM Statues is only simbole any one can touch and weae out of their respect and love!

Why do you so stupid do not know what should and what should not!

Try to ubderstand what is physical and what is spiritual and religion is belong to every one not only BAKUe!

Leurn more and use your brain you can write English don't be too stupid!

Anonymous said...

Tha's OK. The statue has no feelings.
She looks beautiful in the picture, just a German proverb said, "A woman without religion is as a flower without scent.=satrei del kmean chumnoeur ning sasna briep doch bopha del kmean kunthea."

Anonymous said...

... and I realy so much love a religious lady, not superstitious one!

Anonymous said...

Well, she's beautiful indeed. I hope she would not wish to be beautiful and have a sweet smell as a flower because the beauty and the weet smell of a flower never last long.

Anonymous said...

i love cambodian new year celebration. it's one of my fondest memories to have all the time. there are lots of khmer food to be had, lots of traditional games, meeting people in their best dresses, not to mention singing and dancing. a great fun time for everyone. enjoy the khmer new year, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Hey, 9:58 read your English again, dude!

Anonymous said...

Correction: I mean 10:30PM

Anonymous said...

12:53AM NOT THING last forever! Every thing has it own live time so beautiful, youth and live!

If you want to live long whise yourself to be a turtle!

Anonymous said...

That's your own wish; you will have it. I was not serious about what I wrote in my comment. I just wanted to have a little fun with I said. I understant the natural life of all beings!

Anonymous said...

That's your own wish; you will have it. I was not serious about what I wrote in my comment. I just wanted to have a little fun with I said. I understant the natural life of all beings!

Anonymous said...

I not really seriously attacking you, I attack the negative expression so young kid can see what is the fun speach with no thought!

Do not feel bad I have fun too!

Anonymous said...

Don't vorry too much about English fool, what we need is expression and idea!

Anonymous said...

me fell bad! nah, no hard feelings over such a cheap idea of yours!

Anonymous said...

This girl touch Buddha by heart .I saw propunn Sihanouk carried Buddha also but communisms had no religion!

Anonymous said...

4:55AM you should check on your mother! or your parent are or were stupid!

Anonymous said...

4:55AM you should check on your mother! or your parentS are or were stupid TO HAVE A STUPID CHILD LIKE YOU!