Sunday, September 29, 2013

Golden memories ... សុវណ្ណអនុស្សារ



ផ្តាំស្នេហ៏តាមសារិកា - Sisamouth



Sarikakeo - Uoch Savy & Ieng Sithul


Ms Ouch Savy may not be the most beautiful or glamorous among her female contemporaries in the world of Khmer art and entertainment, but she is [at least in my estimation] head and shoulder above most of them in her artistic talent, and in particular, her golden classical singing vocal. I first had the privilege to witness her unique talent on a live performance at a venue [I won't say where except to state that it wasn't Brunei or Dubai!] where she performed a rarely heard piece in the chapei dong veng format in between chapei songs presented by her famed tutor and mentor - master Kong Nay. Immediately after the show I had the chance to chat with them both, putting them to a rather stern and impromptu test on their grasp of the Khmer tongue! It was no surprise that the master scored slightly better than the pupil on this subject! [Well, either that or he simply ignored what I was saying?] Ms Savy clearly struggled to make head or tail of my Khmer speech when all I wanted to find out was how she came to possess such angelic voice! [Hearing her voice live was far better than listening to her on line like this] Eventually, one of her tour aids or organisers intervened in the conversation and she was able to answer my question - somewhat! I got the distinct impression that she was puzzled by the nature of the question. Perhaps, it was down to the fact that the voice has always been there ever since she first learned to speak and communicate, and School of Vice being School of Vice simply could not understand this? Any way, the main piece [and the most captivating in the entire programme for me] was a real treat, and clearly a treasure not to be missed for connoisseurs of Khmer poetry and literature at their refined peak and glory, and was/is more than likely a survivor from the early or even pre-modern era of Khmer literature, judging by the sheer quality of the literary expression or poems rehearsed by the performer. Notwithstanding the destruction and decline of the arts in general this side of the KR regime, it made me realise just how deeply rich and beautiful Khmer civilisation has been and still is as I sat among other audience totally mesmerised by its charm and completely in awe of its majesty. Buddha bless her and the Khmer arts! - School of Vice


Since it's Sunday and we have nostalgia with Mrs Houy Meas AKA Mme Vandy Kessaro from 1970...
I sincerely hope SOV or any other KI team would be so kind to post or repost her song called "DONG STEUNG SNEHA", the original version released in 1965, not by Ros Serey Sothear in 1972.

PS: I understand those who are not into this golden memories would be cranky with my request, but c'est la vie.
Memories are essential for all being to cherish their mind and spirit. I am so happen to have sometimes for myself from my very busy schedule with the public audience because they are occupying with the Pchum Ben celebration at their temples.

         -Yeay Tep

NB: 'Golden memories' may appear any time throughout the week, and not just over the week-end. That is, depending on School of Vice's mood! Therefore, feel free to pen your request, and yes it will be done. My sincere thanks to listeners and fans of Golden memories...for all your support. At least it's lovely to learn that School of Vice is not the only listener to these classics! Happy Pjum Ben to everyone wherever you are and whoever you are at this moment in life's boundless ocean.

Dong Stung Sneaha - Huy Meas



Jendhamuni said...

Dear School of Vice,

At least you have an extra dish for a vegetarian, or a vegan..whatever! Looks like you live to eat :) By the way, there are two versions of the song "Duong Chan Euy" male and female, but you only post the female version. The male version, by our legendary singer Mr. Sinn Sisamuth is also one of my favorite songs too. ~Jendhamuni
Doung Jan Euy - Sisamouth



ស្មូត្រថ្វាយផ្កា [Khmer Buddhist Hymn: Lotus for the Buddha]


'When all ill will is extinguished we arrive at our native state which is Love'

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much SOV for your time and consideration in answering my request. I'm always mesmerized by listening to such beautiful songs.

In mid 60' I used to listen to a Saturday Radio Program with Mr Mey Thirith who was the DJ. It called: "Damnoeur Kamsann Doy Doduntrey" which he mixed the local and international top chart for his audiences. I learnt about Jazz and blue music since then, and he played Louie Amstrong, Sinatra, Elvis... Keo Setha, Neuv Narin, Chhoun Malay, Mao Sareth, Sam Sakhon ... and Sin Sisamouth of course. Sometimes he played an introduction of a song, and paused to get the audiences guest for its title, singer, time to release.
It was great to listen to the program to help me from being bored while travelling and the elders talked about their stuff. We went to the famous noodle houses at Bek Chan, Thnol Torteung (the sausage) Tram Kna or straight to Kampot then Kep. The best was when we were travelling around the Great Lake passing at least 5 towns to stay during "Le Grand Vacance". I don't know at present time if we can still get such beautiful fine noodle houses and delicatessen like those days.

SOV, if you come up with the songs sang by the above mentioned artists, could you play it. The same with other readers if you know about the program please share with us.

Yeay Tep

Anonymous said...

Every time when I listen to these songs I remember Huy Meas's voice during "Chamraeng Atthatibay" on the radio, she described the songs with her soft voice and then played these songs.

Also I recalled her voice on "Lakhang Ny yeay" on the radio around 1:00PM. Kaing Muy and Khun Pol were with Huy Meas on this program. These two were attending Lycee Sisowath during my time there.

In the mid '60, I was listening "mono sanh chetana songs" along with Beatles. Also I loves to listen many good songs sung by Mao Sareth such as "Kiri rum", from Japanese song, and "Dey samot trapaing roung" etc...

Again thank you for posting these songs,

Khmeng Watt Botum,

Anonymous said...

Khmeng Watt Botum

You and I are + or - Generation, what you described here I have the same feeling, what a nostalgia listening to these songs and huoy meas voice, I attended lycee sisowath 1969-1970 got my Bacc II in 1970.

Anonymous said...

DOUNG CHAN EUY, IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE SONGS. THANKS FOR SHARING.

Jendhamuni said...

Dear Yeay Tep,

I listened to this song (Dong Stung Shaeha) many times, but never knew the name of the song. I love all songs, by Ms. Huy Meas and I love her soft, young and innocent voice so much. As you may know a little about myself, that I love kindness. I love kind people with kind words, kind thoughts and kind actions. Well, who does not appreciate kindness anyway? Please enjoy the rest of the weekend. ~Jendhamuni


இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ¬~♥The Endஇڿڰۣ-ڰۣ¬~♥

Dear School of Vice,

Thank you so much for posting this song (Doung Jan Euy) for one of your readers, in this case, Jendhamuni. I hope Yeay Tep loves this song too. I'm one biggest fan of Golden Memories posted by you. But not sure about the long political lesson, written by School of Vice. As you may know, I don't like to read. I love to talk and listen. I only read post with very short paragraph. Unless long texts are breaking into small and beautiful paragraphs, decorated with cute images :))))) Okay, Jendhamuni is always Jendhamuni and will always be Jendhamuni. Don't hate me because I'm all that and a bag of chips and a soda. ~Jendhamuni


இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ¬~♥The Endஇڿڰۣ-ڰۣ¬~♥

Jendhamuni said...

Dear School of Vice,

What a surprise to see my favorite smote "ស្មូត្រថ្វាយផ្កា" with my own picture :))) This video was put together by my dear Dhamma brother, Venerable Nanda. This is my lifetime favorite smote. I love this smote the most. ~Jendhamuni

Anonymous said...

11:47 PM

I was attending this school before you but we graduated the same year. I attended Facultee Des Sciences and joined the army later that year, in Ecole militaire Khmer (EMK)de Kg Chhnang. as an army officer.

I want to meet you if you can!

Khmeng Watt Botum,

Anonymous said...

I LIKE HUY MEAS SONG BANDAM PHAKRIYEA .That song was broadcasted during military operation CHENKA II.That song gave advice to Khmer Republic soldier to look out ennemy.

Anonymous said...

all classical khmer songs should be a national treasure.