Showing posts with label Hiring practice change. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Hiring practice change. Show all posts

Friday, October 05, 2007

UN Reports Call for Changes in Structure of Khmer Rouge Tribunal

By Rory Byrne, VOA
Phnom Penh
05 October 2007


A United Nations agency says the U.N. should pull out of the special tribunal set up to try leaders of Cambodia's genocidal Khmer Rouge government unless reforms are made. Separately, two United Nations experts have reported serious problems with the administration and hybrid structure of the tribunal. Rory Byrne reports for VOA from Phnom Penh.

The United Nations Development Program was commissioned last year to report on hiring practices at the Khmer Rouge Tribunal. The assignment followed allegations that Cambodian employees had paid court officials to obtain their positions with the tribunal.

A UNDP report published this week says no evidence of salary kickbacks was discovered. But the report says investigators did find that the Tribunal is employing unqualified Cambodian staff, at inflated salaries, and without proper hiring procedures.

The report says that if the Cambodian side of the tribunal does not agree to reforms in procedures and structure, "serious consideration should be given to withdrawing from participation in the project altogether."

A second U.N. report this week pointed out numerous administrative shortcomings, and recommended shifting control of crucial court functions to the United Nations.

The tribunal is a joint U.N.-Cambodian court, with Cambodian judges holding three of the five slots. The other two are held by international jurists selected by the U.N. The second report says that because Cambodia's judiciary is weak, the tribunal may be subject to political interference.

Peter Foster, the official spokesman for the U.N. side of the hybrid court, says the reports are being studied for possible action.

However, experts say that fully implementing the recommendations would require re-negotiating the agreements that established the tribunal - a move Foster says would endanger the whole process.

"Renegotiation would take some time," he said. "We have to remember that it took 13 years to get to the agreement that we have in place now, and we certainly don't want to reopen that and spend another 13 years."

Foster says it is possible the U.N. can take more of a "leadership role" without making major changes to the existing agreements.

"A 'leadership role' is a term that can be defined in many ways, it doesn't necessarily means that we have to renegotiate part of the contract or part of the agreement or change the basic fundamentals of how we're structured," he said. "We can certainly make adjustments within the current system to provide greater assistance and greater advice to our Cambodian colleagues…"

Foster says some remedial measures have already been taken, and that experts are being recruited to improve the functions of the tribunal and ensure fairness.

The court is currently investigating five people for crimes committed during the Khmer Rouge's 1975-1979 rule over Cambodia, during which up to two million people died. So far, two suspects have been detained: former prison chief Kaing Kek Eav, alias Duch, and Khmer Rouge ideologue Noun Chea. Cases against the other three are being prepared.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

How UNDP Comes Clean [from the ECCC corruption scandal]

September 27, 2007
The Wall Steet Journal (USA)
"...potential donors have a responsibility to their funders to know what is really going on..."
If the United Nations Development Program in Cambodia wants to clear its name, it sure has a funny way of showing it. On the day this page detailed allegations of widespread hiring malpractice and kickbacks in UNDP-supervised programs and called for the publication of the findings of an audit, the agency released -- wait for it -- a one-page press release.

For those just joining the tale, a quick review: An audit commissioned by UNDP earlier this year found a range of irregularities in the Cambodian side of the Khmer Rouge tribunal. The main findings included inflated salaries and unjustified additional staff positions to the tune of $357,000. The auditors also alleged a serious conflict of interest in the board overseeing the operations, which is responsible for administering more than $6 million of donor-nation funds. We've seen a copy of the auditors' draft report. The UNDP has not made it or the final report public nor has it shown it to the oversight board.

Tuesday's joint statement, issued by UNDP and other overseers, assures the public that the board has "reviewed steps taken to improve the implementation of recruitment procedures of national staff to ensure greater transparency and effectiveness." Nowhere does it note that the board has not seen the audit, nor does it discuss conflicts of interest. And nowhere does it pledge to reveal the audit to the public, which is footing the bill.

Instead, the board "welcomed the adoption of a personnel manual" and promises that all employees will "sign" and "follow" a code of conduct. This document prohibits staff from "receiving or soliciting payments other than salaries for the performance of official duties." Could this be a tacit admission of kickback problems?

Cambodia isn't an easy place to operate and its legal system is notoriously corrupt. On Monday, the New York-based Open Society Justice Initiative -- whose allegations last year sparked the UNDP audit -- issued a report raising concerns about the Cambodian government's influence over the Khmer Rouge tribunal. The same day, another part of the U.N. -- the U.N. Assistance to the Khmer Rouge Trials -- issued a list of work to be done before the courts can function properly.

The Khmer Rouge tribunal took a decade to organize and represents the only hope for justice for more than a million slaughtered Cambodians. Next month, the U.N. is planning to launch a fund-raising drive in New York to raise tens of millions of dollars to support the court's activities. Before writing a check, potential donors have a responsibility to their funders to know what is really going on.

OSJI was right all along in the ECCC kickback allegations?

UN, Tribunal Announce More Transparent Practices

Mean Veasna, VOA Khmer
Original report from Phnom Penh
26 September 2007


The Khmer Rouge tribunal and UNDP announced Tuesday they were taking steps to improve transparency in hiring practices of Cambodian tribunal staff, following reports of corruption from an independent monitor and an internal assessment.

The UN's tribunal office issued recommendations Tuesday on its Web site, following an assessment in June.

According to the recommendations, the UN will send a court management expert to consult tribunal staff, assess the capabilities of existing staff, develop a rapid training program, produce job cards and introduce basic operating systems.

Charges of corruption in the courts have nettled the tribunal since a report last year by the independent Open Society Justice Initiative accused Cambodian judges of paying kickbacks to government officials for seats at the tribunal.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

(About time ...) ECCC, UNDP vow to reform hiring process

September 26, 2007

The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) have publicly announced steps they are taking to ensure that Cambodian personnel at the tribunal are recruited in a transparent and effective manner, local media reported Wednesday.

In a joint statement issued late Tuesday, the ECCC, the United Nations, and UNDP, said that new recruitment procedures have been formalized, assessments of current employees will be conducted by the end of the year, and a mandatory code of conduct will soon be developed, according to the Cambodia Daily newspaper.

The joint statement added that the new code of conduct will ban "ECCC staff from receiving or soliciting payments other than salaries for the performance of official duties."

Earlier this year, New York-based legal NGO the Open Society Justice Initiative (OSJI) alleged that Cambodian members of staff were obliged to give high-ranking government officials kickbacks from their UN funded salaries in order to ensure their positions.

UNDP countered that it had contracted Malaysian firm Candide Consultancy to carry out a full human resources audit, but its results were never released publicly.

A report in the Asian Wall Street Journal last week claimed that the confidential audit found, "serious lapses in the recruitment process," and that, "all the recruitments of staff .. should be nullified."

Unless the Cambodian side agrees to measures ensuring the integrity of the project, the UN should consider withdrawing from the project altogether, said the audit.

"(Withdrawing from the ECCC) is not an option anyone is in a position to contemplate, but people recognize these are serious problems and have not hesitated to say so," a diplomat told the Cambodia Daily on condition of anonymity.

Source: Xinhua