Showing posts with label Ratanakkiri. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Ratanakkiri. Show all posts

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Hill Tribes Fear Loss of Their Forests

By Pich Samnang, VOA Khmer
Original report from Phnom Penh
01 September 2009


The beauty of the northeastern forests is apparent along the road through the province of Stung Treng all the way to Ratanakkiri. But the beauty only lasts in a 2-kilometer corridor along the road. Deeper than that, and the tall trees disappear.

This is the abandoned economic land concession,” Keo Mib, a 39-year-old Phnong hill tribesman said on a recent afternoon in Stung Treng’s Sesan district, pointing to a swath of cleared forest. “The company just left the land after they cleared the forest and took the valuable trees.”

Villagers in these northeastern provinces say they are losing their livelihoods and sacred forests, as more and more private enterprises take their forests.

We depend on forest products for our living, but now there are almost no forests,” said Keo Mib, who has four children. “When we leave the village, there is only forest [concession] or economic land concessions.”

To many people living here, the forests are imbued with sacred rites and religious significance.

“When our religious forests are disturbed, our ancestors will get angry and thus cause trouble for villagers,” said Chheoung Kea, the chief of nearby Pluk village, which he said has seen 20 consecutive stillbirths after a company cleared a sacred forest.

Most people living along the Sesan and Srepok rivers in Stung Treng and Ratanakkiri come from the minority hill tribes: Phnong, Jarai, Kachork, Brao, Tavet, Krung, Lorn and Tompun. Their lives revolve around nature, including the rivers, fields and, especially, the forest.

"Forests are our lives,” said Romeam Ten, a representative from Tronong community in Rattanakiri province, during a meeting of indigenous leaders in Ratanakkiri’s Banlung town last week. “How can we survive if there are no more forests?”

Ratanakkiri alone has more than 10,000 square kilometers of forest, between 70 percent and 80 percent of the province. But so far, at least 30,000 hectares of forest have been lost to illegal logging, according to Pen Bunnar, a former Ratanakkiri investigator for Adhoc who was recently removed from the province under a deal with the provincial court to avoid charges of inciting villagers.

Since 2004, there have been at least 15,000 chainsaws used in Ratanakkiri to illegally cut trees,” he said.

The province currently has seven economic land concession holders, he said, but most of them do not comply with concession agreements. Such concessions should not be granted in areas where they threaten important forests.

However, the province’s deputy governor, Mom Sareoun, said concession holders replace the trees they cut down with rubber plantations, “so the environment won’t be affected much.”

The villagers themselves are the threat to forests, he said during last week’s Ratanakkiri forest.

“You see dollars and then you cut down the trees for sales,” he told the group of 200 representatives there. “If you don’t cut down the trees, there will be no buyers.”

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ratanakkiri Families File Deforestation Suit

By Chiep Mony, VOA Khmer
Original report from Phnom Penh
21 October 2008


Click here to listen to the Khmer audio program

Nearly 80 minority families in Ratanakkiri province filed suit in provincial court Monday, alleging that a military official and businessman had deforested state land to install a plantation.

The 79 families, from Lumphat district, alleged through two representatives that since 2003, Khim Khengchou, 50, a military official, colluded with local businessman Sman Slesh, 51, to produce 600 hectares of rubber and bean plantation.

The two cut down trees in protected forest, near where the families live, according to the complaint.

In a brief statement by phone Tuesday, Sman Slesh denied the accusations. Khim Khengchou could not be reached for comment.

Deputy provincial prosecutor Ros Saram said he had received the complaint, which was filed with the help of the human rights group Adhoc, and would act on it soon. His office was backlogged with many other complaints, he said.

Adhoc meanwhile is planning a march in Ratanakkiri town Oct. 27 to demand further implementation of the law and a crackdown on deforestation in the province.

The Ministry of Interior on Tuesday agreed to permit the march.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

New groups of Montagnards have arrived in Ratanakkiri

19 March 2007
By Ratha Visal
Radio Free Asia

Translated from Khmer by Socheata

The arrival of two new groups of Montagnard people has been reported on Sunday 18 march 2007. One of the group has already reached the UNHCR office in Phnom Penh, whereas the other group is still in hiding in the forest of Ratanakkiri province, and it is looking for intervention help from international refugee organizations.

Chung Ravuth, the local UNHCR official, indicated that a group of 4 Montagnard people has reached the UNHCR office in Phnom Penh today, however, detailed information about the refugees is not available yet. “We have not yet received information over the weekend, and we just return back to work on Monday,” Chung Ravuth said.

Anonymous villagers from O’Yadaw reported that 10 refugees were spotted by the villagers in the forest. The refugees are looking for help from the UNHCR. “They are in the forest and they lack food,” the villagers claimed.

The local police authority denied they know the presence of the Montagnard people who have arrived recently.

Pen Bonnar, Adhoc investigator in Ratanakkiri, said that the villagers have reported recently the presence of the refugees whom they spotted in the forest. The villagers said that the refugees lack food and are being pursued by the local authority. “The refugees are arriving one after another. This time, the villagers are reporting that the authority went to look for the refugees. We have reported the information to the UNHCR so it can help these refugees urgently,” Pen Bonnar said.

UNHCR’s Chung Ravuth said that his organization will request the government’s authorization to visit Ratanakkiri province next week to look for refugees who have arrived recently.

On 22 Feb 2007, the UNHCR had rescued 11 Montagnard people from the O’Yadaw andPublish Bor Keo district in Ratanakkiri province. According to a UNHCR report, currently, there are more than 200 refugees located at the UNHCR refugee camp in Phnom Penh, who are awaiting for their interview to obtain their refugee status.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Border of disrespect, violation, and encroachment, unlike what Vietnam promised Cambodia

Vietnam’s violation by encroaching into the White Zone in Ratanakkiri

17 March 2007
By Ratha Visal
Radio Free Asia

Translated from Khmer by Socheata

A government official from the Ratanakkiri province reported that Vietnam have violated [the Cambodian territory] by moving its checkpoint post further, deep inside the prohibited white zone, even though the Cambodian border defense authority have asked them to stop this encroachment several times in the past already.

An anonymous provincial official reported that on 10 March 2007, the Vietnamese border troop moved its border checkpoint post approximately 200-meter deep into the white zone. The Vietnamese checkpoint post is now very close to the international border gate between Vietnam and Cambodia, in O’Yadaw district.

Rer Ray, the Ratanakkiri province police chief, confirmed that he received the report above already, and he also sent a report to the provincial authority and the Ministry of Interior to ask for a decision. “This issue has been reported to higher provincial authority and the Ministry of Interior. As for me, I already reported to my superior, I don’t want any delay in this issue.”

The 2005-2006 report from the Ratanakkiri province authority indicated that the Vietnamese side had violated several times into the prohibited white zone located between the Cambodian checkpoint and the Vietnamese checkpoint. In one instance, Vietnam built a post right on top of the location of a [Cambodian] flagpole, it also built roads, fell down trees, paved roads deep inside the prohibited white zone by several hundred meters.

RFA could not contact the Vietnamese embassy on the claim made about because of the weekend.

Nevertheless, Var Kim Hong, the president of the government national border committee, said that he did not receive this report from the provincial authority yet.

He promised to look into this case: “Our people are positioned in all institutions in O’Yadaw, let’s wait and see … there is no report from the Ratanakkiri province yet.”

On 11 February, a group of technical expert in charge of delimiting the border between Cambodia and Vietnam did not completed their mission successfully because of disagreement on border delimitation at the O’Yadaw international border gate, in Ratanakkiri province in Cambodia and Gia Lai province in Vietnam. The delimitation was made so that border posts can be installed in order to facilitate the construction of road 78 linking Ratanakkiri and Vietnam.

Sin Siekny, the border delimitation technical expert, commented: “… There is a small technical problem. It’s difficult for me to answer about this work. We have not completed yet, it’s only after it’s completed that I can provide an answer, we are studying it now.”

During mid-January 2007, there was also a report about the Vietnamese violation with the construction of a concrete bridge inside the prohibited white zone, next to the Sastr and Lom villages, O’Yadaw district. According to an official from the border defense committee, there is not one single plan that will bring to an end the Vietnamese [territory] violations.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spanish psychologist evaluates Cambodia's 'jungle woman'

Rochom P'ngieng, is watched by locals at her rural home Saturday, Jan. 20, 2007, in Oyadao, Cambodia. Rochom P'ngieng went missing in 1988, at the age of eight, while herding buffaloes near her family's home. Some villagers believe she has been living wild in the jungle ever since. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Ker Munthit
The Associated Press


PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - A Spanish psychologist met with Cambodia's "jungle woman" on Tuesday, hoping to unravel some of the mystery surrounding the woman who emerged from the forest, naked and unable to speak, after possibly 18 years in the wild.

Hector Rifa, a doctor of psychology from Spain's University of Oviedo, said his priority was to ensure the woman was receiving proper treatment for whatever traumatic experience she has undergone.

But it is also possible he may find clues to the woman's true identity - whether she is indeed a local girl who disappeared in 1988, as claimed by the family in northeastern Cambodia who has taken her in as their long-lost daughter.

Rifa said he plans to spend several days at the home of village policeman Sal Lou, who claims the woman is his daughter Rochom P'ngieng, who disappeared while tending water buffalo when she was eight.

Sal Lou's family, members of Cambodia's Pnong ethnic minority, say they are certain the woman is Rochom P'ngieng because of a childhood scar on her right arm.

With no other evidence supporting their claim, however, others have speculated that the woman may have a history of mental troubles and had simply become lost in the jungle much more recently.

In any case, her inability to communicate and evident attempts to escape from Sal Lou's family indicate she is in a difficult psychological situation.

Rifa has been working with indigenous people in Rattanakiri province over the past four years for the Spain-based group Psychology Without Borders.

In an interview earlier Tuesday, he told The Associated Press he thinks the woman's behaviour showed she was having difficulty adapting to normal life, as would be expected if she had been lost in the jungle for an extended period of time.

"It is not extraordinary . . . or anything coming from another world," he said, referring to concerns by superstitious villagers that the woman may be possessed by a jungle spirit.

"From the point of view of psychology, I suspect that this is like for us, if we have stayed one week in the forest and came back to the world, you are a little out of it. So if we have stayed 18 years out of the office or of the world, when we come back we need some time" to readjust, he said.

On Monday, two Cambodian human rights groups expressed concern that the woman may be suffering due to the spotlight cast on her since she emerged from the wild, and offered to provide medical and psychiatric treatment.

Curious villagers and journalists have flocked to see the woman, who was found Jan. 13 walking bent over rather than upright. She pats her stomach when hungry and uses animal-like grunts to communicate.

"The important thing is to try to help the family, if they don't know how to manage (her)," Rifa said.

Mao San, the Oyadao district police chief, said Tuesday the investigation into the woman's case has "hit a dead end" because she cannot communicate.

"Only when she starts speaking can we ask her where she might have been or whom she might have been with the whole time," he said, stressing the need to do DNA tests to confirm she is the child of Sal Lou.

Sal Lou has said he is willing to undergo DNA testing "to clear any doubts that she is my child."

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

CPP stopgap measures in Ratanakkiri ahead of commune election; land disputes will resurface again after that

Monday, February 19, 2007
CPP looks into land disputes with the election closing in

By Nhim Sophal
Cambodge Soir

Translated from French by Luc Sâr

A CPP meeting was held at the party provincial office to discuss land disputes in the province of Ratanakkiri. However, Muong Poy, the provincial governor stressed that the problems to be discussed on the agenda are those involving recent conflicts. Thus, the problem involving the 500-hectare of land in the Kong Yu village which is simmering for more than 3 years already, was not discussed. “That’s a problem that the villagers must resolve with the company. It has nothing to do with me,” the governor justified.

The Kong Yu land which was purchased by the sister of Keat Chhon, the Minister of Economy and Finance, is already planted with rubber trees, and the remaining area of the land is claimed by the Kong Yu villagers who are supported by the Community Legal Education Center (Clec) NGO which provides legal help to the village. Thy Bunthoeun, Clec lawyer, said that the governor can be excused as he is still new in his position, however, he indicated that the provincial authority is responsible of this land dispute. For the Clec – which brought the charges to the court against the company, and to which the court confirmed that it would look into the case – there are several means to act on these issued. “We have other strategies,” Thy Bunthoeun recognized, “We can seek for more support from the international community, reinforce contacts with the company in order to negotiate for an advantageous deal for the villagers, or invite diplomats to visit the area.”

Muong Poy announced this weekend the measures taken by the CPP regarding land disputes in the province: “Land disputes focus the attention on our province. We proceeded to evaluate the situation with the help of NGOs and observers who warn the news media on these cases. It has been decided to stop all land sales in the province, as well as stopping the development on lands under dispute.” These measures are taken only a few weeks before the election.