Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Khieu Samphan chooses Jacques Vergès as his defense lawyer

Khieu Samphan, former Khmer rouge leader (Photo: Pauline Gauraude/RFI)

Radio France International (RFI)
Translated from French by Tola Ek
"I don’t have anything to reproach myself. I believe that I did my duty towards my homeland. I could not remain idle when my country was invaded..." - Khieu Samphan
Khieu Samphan, one of the former Khmer Rouge leaders, selected, this Friday, Jacques Vergès, a French lawyer, to defend him. The former president of the “Democratic Kampuchea,” led by Pol Pot between 1975 and 1979, could appear in the Khmer Rouge trial next year. Five persons, whose identities are still unknown, were accused of war crime, crime against humanity and of genocide by the prosecutor of the Khmer Rouge Tribunal. While close to 2 million people were killed under the Pol Pot regime, Khieu Samphan still claims, 30-year later, that “he has nothing to regret about” and that “he has nothing to reproach himself of.” For him, it was the communist Vietnamese and the US imperialist power which were responsible for the crisis leading to massive arrests, and to “these things,” referring to the massacres, without ever pronouncing the word himself. The exclusive interview of Khieu Samphan from his hometown in Pailin was conducted by Nicolas Vescovacci.

RFI: Is it true that you chose Jacques Vergès for your defense?

Khieu Samphan (KS): That’s right, that’s my lawyer. We knew each other when I was studying in France. We participated in several demonstrations against the war in Algeria and against the war in Vietnam. I believe he will try his best to let the law prevail.

RFI: Do you think you will be part of the 5 persons charged by the tribunal prosecutor?

KS: I have my name printed in almost all the newspapers. Therefore, I believe that it is possible that I will be among the 5.

RFI: Will you go to court if you are charged?

KS: It depends on the charge brought against me.

RFI: The main charges that the prosecutor upheld would be “war crime, crime against humanity and genocide.” What do you reply to that?

KS: We, the Khmer communists, we fought for the national liberation.

RFI: You don’t have anything to reproach yourself?

KS: I don’t have anything to reproach myself. I believe that I did my duty towards my homeland. I could not remain idle when my country was invaded, both by the South Vietnamese forces under the direction of the US, and by the communist Vietnamese, who tried to impose their hegemony on Kampuchea. I believe that it was my duty to bring in my contribution.

RFI: Do you contest the massacres of the Cambodian people which took place between 1975 and 1979?

KS: Regarding the massacres, Vietnam refused to recognize the Brévié line (maritime delimitation dating from the colonial period), while it was already recognized as the sea border between the two countries. But in the month of May 1976, they refused to recognize it, and demanded a new demarcation line.

RFI: What does that have to do with the massacres?

KS: Vietnam imposed an ultimatum to the Cambodian communist Party. Against this ultimatum, the communist Party was facing an impossible situation. If it were to accept it, it was the end of the Cambodian communist Party. Thus, Cambodia had to face military confrontations. It was the central problem which explained all the arrests made. These things.

RFI: But, it was the Cambodian people who were massacred by Cambodian people?

KS: But, I already told you, it was the Vietnamese ultimatum. This means that the Vietnamese tried to provoke internal troubles in the country.

RFI: And you responded with massacres?

KS: But, please. It is very complicated to answer this question.

RFI: 30 years later, do you regret the actions taken by the regime, the actions taken by the Khmer Rouge leaders during that period?

KS: Long afterward … I was only their road companion.

RFI: You were the president of the republic …

KS: First of all, I was not part of the Khmer Rouge management. Second, they fought at the same time, against both the US superpower and the Vietnamese hegemony attempts. I believe that they accomplished their duty for Cambodia still. Without their fight, Cambodia would have been in the hands of communist Vietnamese since 1970. Please think about me. I am Cambodian, that’s how I think.

RFI: Do you think about the victims?

KS: Sure, I think about the victims. I bow in front of the memory of the innocent victims. But, it must be taken into account the circumstances of the events with which the accused are reproached of. These people fought against foreign interference, against foreign aggressions. They did their duty for their country.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beside the torture, the whole country was starving. Why didn't he see that the whole country was starving and more people die from starvation, disease, and forced labor than execution. The reporter should have ask about those questions.

Anonymous said...

Hi..My name is Hun Sen I'm 56years old, I'm a Prime Minister of Cambodia, I would like to tell everyone that Since I were Married I never LIT or Si nothing, so I realy want everyone to call me Samdach Min Ches Si Female clam.

Anonymous said...

I quite agree with Khieu Samphan's clear statement because Yuon secret agents/spies, who have secretly impersonated themselves as the Khmer Rouge whose hands were used in the name of Angkar Leu/Cap Tren to brutally kill Khmer innocent people,can speak, write and read Khmer much better than all the Khmer Rouge soldiers, are well-educated in Khmer culture, religion, langauge, tradition and custom...etc.:
KS: But, I already told you, it was the Vietnamese ultimatum. This means that the Vietnamese tried to provoke internal troubles in the country.

Khmer sralanh Khmer

Anonymous said...

The Khmer Rouge only came to power because the North Vietnamese communists supported them, invaded Cambodia and crushed Lon Nol's forces. The KR were traitors to Cambodia from the start.

Anonymous said...

do not call yourself Khmer sralanh Khmer, you are Khmer Stupid. Khieu Samphan was President of the KR. 2 millions people died. he is responsible. it was his policies that killed people(overwork, starvation, etc.). Are you happy if he kills all your family because the VN provokes? you Khmer Stupid.

Anonymous said...

French influence is always a bad idea.

Anonymous said...

Other peopele will probably responsible for a certain reason, but KS will more likely responsible for everything else, begining with emptying Cambodian people from their home on April 17th. of 1979.

Please don't forget that people not animals that were dying along the road on their way out. There was no clear mission, no medical aids, no food and shelter. All souls and were bodies were broken, lost and destroyed until today and beyond. He can say that he liberated Cambodia from foreign what and what...., but to place his own people in such a harmful way, he was saying two diffrent things and perhaps, very confused. Well, that what the court are for. He needs to explain that clearly to everyone.

Anonymous said...

Khieu Samphan is a LIAR.He was one leader of Angkar who ordered to kill his own people.During the war 70-75 he was sometimes in Hanoi.Now his lawyer is a YOUN HUE.Jacques Vergès his mother is a vietnamese in the province of HUE and he is a pro-communiste VN.What ultimatum he said.