Wednesday, December 12, 2007

In spite of strong effort, Cambodia's women rugby team lost the bronze medal to Laos at SEA Games

Cambodia's Chan Sokunthea (9) powers through a tackle by an unidentified Thai defender during their semi-final women's rugby match Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2007, at the 24th Southeast Asian Games in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. Thailand defeated Cambodia 43-0 in the semifinal match. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

Lao’s Thongmala Viengphane, left, carries the ball against Cambodia during their bronze medal match Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2007, at the 24th Southeast Asian Games in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. Lao defeated Cambodia 15-0 for the bronze medal. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

Cambodia’s Chan Sokunthea (3) looks to tackle an unidentified Lao player during their bronze medal match Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2007, at the 24th Southeast Asian Games in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. Lao defeated Cambodia 15-0. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter, there is not much difference between third and fourth place.

Keep up the good works, girls!

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO ladies kick ass!!! Playing Rugby will prepare you for marriage, make him eat that Chbop Srei!

Kate said...

Dear Sir or Madam,
Love the blog! I am writing because I am developing a project proposal to use in an application for a Watson Fellowship (http://www.watsonfellowship.org/site/index.html). The Watson is a yearlong independent study and travel outside the United States. Fellows must develop and pursue an independent research project about something they are passionate about, and they cannot return to the United States during the year.

I am thinking about pursuing a project on women's rugby, particularly in societies that have been divided by ethnic conflict or violence. I want to learn about how rugby can work as a tool to promote reconciliation at the national level and at local levels. I am primarily interested in learning about opportunities for women and girls. If I am eventually awarded the Watson Fellowship, the places I will travel to include: the Basque region of Spain, Northern Ireland, Cambodia, and Rwanda. During my travels, I hope to meet with national and local rugby teams, and hopefully practice with and get to know teammates. I would most likely be staying in each country for about three months.

Do you think that this is a reasonable and doable project? I would love to hear any feedback or suggestions you may have. I would also love to have the chance to talk further, either by email, Skype, or online chat. Please let me know what you think of the project and any thoughts you may have!

Thanks so much for reading my long comment. You can contact me at kaizpuru@gmail.com. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Kate