Saturday, January 05, 2008

Observations of a Malaysian tourist visiting Cambodia

A memorable vacation

Saturday January 5, 2008
The Star (Malaysia)

Nine months ago, a couple of friends and I went to Cambodia for our annual vacation. We started our exciting journey in Phnom Penh and ended in Siem Reap.

Unlike Kuala Lumpur, the traffic here is not heavy, but it’s crazy. People drive like there are no rules. They ignore traffic lights and the traffic police don’t seem to care.

I never imagined riding a tuk–tuk would be such an adrenaline rush. We’d hang on for dear life as it swerved in and out of traffic. At times, we’d be facing oncoming traffic.

Cars won’t stop for you when you cross the road. Instead they swerve to avoid hitting you. I felt it was like attempting suicide to cross the road.

I realise this is a poor country but I didn’t imagine how poor. I bought a lotus snack and threw it away half-eaten. While looking for a dustbin to throw it away, a group of street urchins grabbed my snack out of my hand.

It made me realise how good it is to live in Malaysia.

Runiz Zulkifli
PJ, Selangor

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi guys, i think u dont know this world enough. if you compare your country when it just escape from war, then u will know that your country cant compare to cambodia even america. u need to read the research how all countries come up after war. to me, i say malaysia is nothing.

Anonymous said...

I agree, my Country Cambodia is poor and has not been ruled by law, but ruled by a band of Maffia families.

People are poor, but government officials are rich thank to the rampant corruption.

Many wives of corrupt officials or Lok Chumteav used their dirty money to help poor youths by hiring to do this NOBBLE JOB: Fuck Mee Chumteav for pleasure.

Anonymous said...

I also know this: their husband got too much money but don't fuck their wife enough.
The reason why their wives Mee Chumteav hire youths to fuck them.
Good Fuck. Fuck Mee Chumteav as hard as you can, to satisfy their SEX hunger!

Anonymous said...

I prefer to eat Samlor Khmer than la bouffe of Malaysian. Fuck you, don't come to my country anymore,espèce sale égoïste.

Anonymous said...

It is very easy to make people respecting the traffic lights.
The government must do something quickly.