Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dam Sith was apprehensive following his questioning by the court last week ... his apprehension was justified with his arrest

Moneakseka Khmer Director Gives Clarification

06 Jun 08
Everyday.com.kh
Translated from Khmer by Anonymous

The director of Moneakseka Khmer newspaper, Dam Sit, already gave clarification to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on 5 June over the lawsuit filed by [Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister] Hor Namhong against him for defamation and disinformation, after he published the opposition leader's comments in his newspaper.

Following his court appearance, Dam Sit told reporters that when the court had asked him if the comments publication comments was done as told by Sam Rainsy or it was his own idea, he said he had extracted the comments made by Sam Rainsy at Cheung Ek Monastery. Dam Sit added, "Although I have already given the clarification to the court, I still feel fear. I am afraid that after my court appearance, power will be used against me contrary to the legal principles. I think that I have done nothing wrong because the article I published was not exaggerated. It was the whole truth, because Sam Rainsy said so."

Dam Sit also said, "I understand that Hor Namhong's lawsuit is a threat to break up the spirit of newspapers that do not support him. This action is also a violation of the rights of journalists. "

Lawyer Chea Chu-ngi, who defended Dam Sit at the court, said his client had done nothing wrong, as he only reported what Sam Rainsy mentioned at the genocide center of Boeng Cheung Ek on 17 April 2008.

No comments: