Sunday, January 25, 2009

The old Sacravatoons

Click on the article in Khmer to zoom in

Cartoon and article by Sacrava (on the web at http://sacrava.blogspot.com)

By U. Bun Heang
Translated from Khmer by Heng Soy


The old Sacravatoons were published in the “Nokor Thom” newspaper in the 70s. The editor of this newspaper was Mr. Soth Polin who was also the political editor.

“Peov,” rather than “Bun Heang,” was the pseudonym I used between 1970 and 1974 … In 1970, I became the political cartoonist for the Nokor Thom. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Hang Thun Hak, the minister of community and rural development, asked my father to tell me to stop producing cartoons for Nokor Thom. Mr. Hang Thun Hak and my father were very close friends, even though one is a politician and the other a businessman. My father asked me to stop drawing the cartoons and I agreed to his request.

On that day, I told Mr. Soth Polin about my decision to resign from Nokor Thom. He was very saddened and he told me: “What do you want me to do?” … I felt very sorry for him. Two or three days later, I returned back to see Mr. Soth Polin again, and I said to him: “Elder brother, I have decided to continue producing cartoons for you again, but I ask to change my pseudonym to “Peov” instead!”

Mr. Soth Polin was very pleased, he said: “Heang, you can change anything you want!”

My decision to return back to the drawing desk stemmed from my recollection of Mr. Hang Thun Hak’s struggle to spread his political point of views through many novels and plays he wrote … but when he became part of the Khmer Republic government, he did not like anybody criticizing his group. I believe that this behavior is not representative of a true democrat… My father knew about this issue also, but he chose to ignore it! Usually, my father would remind all of us, his children, at the long dinner table we had: “If you want to be involved in Khmer politics, you must be willing to give and take, you must be willing to jump the fence and go to jail. Either:
  1. You will be sent to jail
  2. You will be killed, or
  3. You will have to flee the country.”
My father added that he was lucky, being a below average student, he only spent two years studying in the pagoda school, and he was not able to become a government official or court mandarin like others. Instead, he became a businessman, nevertheless, he wanted to see all of us, his children, study and acquire advance knowledge without becoming a civil servant. In fact, it was Mr. Hang Thun Hak who advised my father to send me to study at the University of Fine Arts in 1965. For that, I am thankful to both of them for sealing my fate and allowing me to learn about Khmer culture for a decade-long period, between 1965 and 1975. In 1975, we had to cut short our studies under the Khmer Rouge regime.

To learn more about life under the Khmer Rouge regime, I invite all the readers to check my website dedicated to this era at www.KhmerRouge-Toons.blogspot.com.

My cartoons were published in the front page of the Nokor Thom newspaper between 1970 and 1974, until the closing of the newspaper … when Mr. Soth Polin had to flee the country in pain and when his newspaper was closed (by the government) on 15 July 1974. Nokor Thom was a good newspaper and it had several well-known editors. The normal price of a copy of the newspaper was 100 riels, but when the newspaper was confiscated by the Cambodian authority during that time, its price rose to 10,000 riels per copy, this took place during a time when the price of a bowl of noodle soup was 500 riels.

I assembled all these valuable cartoons in two large volumes containing about 200 cartoons. It should be noted also that in the 70s, only the Nokor Thom newspaper published and sold more than 10,000 copies daily and 30,000 copies on Sundays. It was one of the most popular Khmer newspapers at the time.

U. Bun Heang

Post-scriptum note: Fortunately, the two volumes containing the 200 cartoons were spirited out of Cambodia before the fall of the country in 1975 by Mr. Mam Sophana, the elder brother of Mr. Mam Sonando from the current Beehive radio station. Currently, these two volumes are in the hands of Mr. Mam Sophana who now lives in Phnom Penh. I begged him to return them back to me because I wanted to edit and publish them as historical documents from the 1970-1974 era. Unfortunately, Mr. Mam Sophana ignored my request (?) … he is already quite old now … he should understand the situation! To avoid discussing this issue with me, he copied and sent me about 10 pages from the volumes, and he told me that he already sent the entire volumes to me already. I saw these two volumes with my own eyes when I stayed at Mr. Mam Sophana’s residence in Singapore. I begged him to return them back to me, but he replied: “I will send them back to you in Sydney.” … To this day, I am still waiting for them!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elder Mam Sophana, please send Bang Bun Heang the 200 cartoon from 70'-74' so that he can further enrich us young generation can learn. Thank you Bang Bun Heang for continuing feeding us education, and provoking our brain to think, and you do all of these priceless, deep profound thoughtfulness free of charge.

Anonymous said...

Khmer they are Buddhism since Norkor kok-tlork century.
We have alot to learn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Empire

We need peace,Independence and real Justice.

Khmer surin,khmer kandal,khmer krom must love each other.
"War ends only when people love each other." -Buddha.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLTFmWX4VE

"HE WHO HAS REACHED THE GOAL,IS FEARLESS,DEVOID OF CRAVING,PASSIONLESS,HAS BROKEN THE SHAFTS OF EXISTENCE,-OF SUCH A ONE THIS IS THE FINAL FORM"

http://www.bangkokmag.infothai.com/emeraldhistory.htm

Anonymous said...

បង​ប៊ុនហ៊ាង បងគួរតែរកសៀវភៅ ចរិតខ្មែរ របស់
លោក ប៊ុនចណ្ណ ម៉ុល មកអានដើម្បីស្វែងរកសេចក្តី
ស្ងប់អំពីរឿងលោក ម៉ម សុផាណា មិនព្រមប្រគល់
សៀវភៅអែកសាររូបត្លុកចាស់ៗមកឲ្យបងវិញ ។ នេះគឺជាចរិតខ្មែរដែលលោក ប៊ុនចណ្ណ ម៉ុល​បានបរិយាយនៅក្នុងសៀវភៅរបស់គាត់ ។ គួរឲ្យស្តាយណាស់ ដែលខ្មែរយើងនៅតែមិនព្រម
ជម្រុះនូវចរិតអវិជ្ជមានទាំងនេះ ៕

Anonymous said...

Bun Heang, i was a fan of Nokor Thom in the early 70's; i was captivated by the literary innovations that propelled khmer journalism into unprecendented heights. It simply left Sochivakthor ("Kaset salysilat") and later Koh Santepheap in the dust. Of course Nokor Thom also shared this limelight with Domnoeung Pel Proeuk (Morning News) edited by Ly Eng.. Other thinkers, eg Douc Rasy also wrote in newspapers. At one time these writers were the intelligentsia of post-Sangkum politics. Somehow Preah Karuna refuses to understand that people have the right to question their leaders' performance, and the explosion of thinking in the early 70's is an expression of that new found freedom. when i left Phnom Penh in 1974 for my overseas studies, i kept a copy of the famous last edition of the paper (as you know its price when up and up as everyone wanted a copy for themselves). Unfortunately one "friend" stole it (together with my copy of Sang Savath's Moha Chor Tull Den) and never gave it back, so i can't share it with the world today. However i still have 2 volumes of Douc Rasy's selected editorials left, as well as Chut Khai's quite funny "Khmoch Preay Asorakay" (in which you also drew the illustrations).. Hey i've read so much in those days i can even recognise your drawing style anywhere!.. i hope and pray that Mr Mam Sophana will contribute to the preservation of Khmer intellectual heritage by doing the right thing and for the benefit of all. Unless he's asking for a million bucks, that is. Cheers mate and the best of luck

Anonymous said...

Lemme correct your last sentence : "Cheers mate and the best of fuck"

Anonymous said...

Dear Everyone and especially Anonymous in the above who knew of my brother, Ly Eng.

Several weeks ago, my family stumbled upon a blog posting information about my brother as excerpted below.

" One rather less well-known story is that of Khmer journo Ly Eng who hid in the Monorom Hotel for two or three weeks after the Khmer Rouge entered Phnom Penh on 17 April 1975. He came out of his hiding place, found his old red convertible sports car and drove down Monivong Boulevard towards the bridge, breaking through a few Khmer Rouge barricades. He reached the bridge but a group of Khmer Rouge guards sprayed him with bullets and he plunged into the river with his car."

Knowing how my brother died will give my family some closure; however, my attempt to get more information in regard to his death has so far been fruitless. Though, it is still my hope that someone out there may know more details about my brother's death or would be able to direct me to someone else who can fill in the blanks.

Thanks,

Moly Ly
bongknaek@yahoo.com