Thursday, September 24, 2009

A random act of kindness

Vancouver Sun readers share their random acts of kindness

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009

Years ago, I was traveling Cambodia, and while I was in Phnom Penh I hired their version of a taxi, a "moto", which was someone who puts you on the back of their motorcycle and takes you around. The traffic was chaotic, and I put my life into the hands of my moto driver, Samon, who faithfully met me every morning at my guest house to take me site seeing. Before leaving the city I exchanged emails with him and we stay in contact to this day.

In his emails, Samon would tell me that he was trying to save money to buy a tuk-tuk, the more safe and modern 3-wheeled taxi that is popular in Thailand. Due to slower tourist seasons because of unrest on the Thai-Cambodian border and the costs to take provide for his family, he was never able to save up enough money on his own.

When I got married 2 years ago, I had a difficult time thinking of what kind of wedding favors to purchase for my guests. Most wedding favors usually get left behind and forgotten, so the time and money that went into them is essentially wasted. My husband I decided to donate $350 on behalf of our guests to Samon so that he could finally purchase a tuk-tuk. I look forward to return to Cambodia one day with my husband and see Phnom Penh riding in Samon’s shiny red tuk-tuk.

Teya Klavora

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How kind and generous you are. You are helping in a small way that give him lifetime work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Teya,

Thank you very much for your kindness. Your gift is really appreciated by this poor Cambodian.

Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hello Teya,

Keep up the good work Teya. We need more people like you and your husband out there. I am very touching by your kindness. I am sure that your gift is mean the whole world to Samon.
May God bless you and your family.

Thanks again.