Friday, May 21, 2010

What's in a name?


Dear All,
Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)
I have been asked on several occasions about the origin of my name (or nickname) Heng Soy. One reader suggested that I must have been born from very confused parents, another one asked: ‘…are you between Lucky & Unlucky? You should call yourself "Misfortune"’. Several people sent me emails ending with something like this: “I hope today is Heng for you and not Soy”. Some even went on to claim that I must be related to one “soy sauce” family.

While I can’t claim to smell as sweet as a rose (far from it, I hope), let me give you here my version of the story and, in doing so, I hope I could entertain you somewhat.

According to my aunt who raised me, my mother was pregnant with me before the Vietnamese troops invaded Cambodia. With the wave of refugees traveling to Thailand following the Vietnamese occupation of Cambodia, my parents and my aunt’s family decided that they would leave to Thailand also. At first, my aunt was reluctant to travel with my parents because she was concerned about my mother’s pregnancy and how close she was to the delivery date. Nevertheless, my father who was always an idealist, decided that he did not want to see his child born in a country that is occupied by foreign troops, so off they went. As they were about to cross the border into Thailand, the travelers formed into a long single file, walking one after another. Somehow, somebody in the front row stepped on a landmine and the group was so startled that they all spread out in different direction. My father was only able to help his wife while his sister and her husband got separated from them.

Later that night, my parents’ group managed to continue their journey and arrived at a refugee camp in Thailand. With all the commotion of the day, it turned out that my mother started to go into labor as well. With that, I found myself born in the foreign land of the Thais. Right on the spot, my mother decided that my name would be “Heng” because she was lucky enough not to have to deliver me inside the jungle.

On the other hand, my father found himself very sad to be separated from his sister. About a week after I was born, my father asked his neighbors to help look after his wife and newborn child as he decided that he would go back to Cambodia to look for his sister and her husband. That was the last we ever heard of him, a week later, people whom my mother knew told her that my father stepped on a landmine and was killed during his trip back to Cambodia. Meanwhile, my aunt and her husband who were lost in the forest all this time, managed to arrive at our camp also to the delight and chagrin of my mother.

About six months after I was born, due to grief and malaria, my mother passed away, leaving me with my aunt and uncle. Being quite superstitious, my aunt believed that my name “Heng” had something to do with the misfortune that befell my parents. One day she told my uncle: “I think my sister-in-law defied the Tevodas and Neak Ta (spirits) that protect this region by daring to call her child “Heng”, that’s why they took revenge on her and her husband. So from now on, let’s change Heng’s name to Soy, that way, the spirits would not come near him anymore.” From that day on, my name was switched to Soy. However, when my aunt was applying to leave the refugee camp, my uncle urged her to keep both the name my mother gave me and the nickname my aunt called me. That is how I became to be known as Heng Soy.

Later in life, I learnt from Einstein’s relativity theory (I think) that “everything is relative”, therefore, Heng or Soy does not matter, it’s all “relative”, just like anything else in life, it’s 50-50, sometimes it’s Heng (lucky), sometimes it’s Soy (unlucky). Therefore, folks, don’t cry nor laugh at me should you meet me in person one day!

Thank you!

Heng Soy - The Lucky Unlucky fellow

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Name is a matter of mind, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Heng Soy means taking a chance, which makes me love you so deary.
A lot of your effort has gone into making Ki-media a success.
Thank you so very much.

Anonymous said...

Well, that a good name anyway. That name may also mean a chance or opportunity - Heng soy, the money will arrive tomorrow. Sorry to hear that, I was one of the refugees to Thailand too

Anonymous said...

Heng Soy. Fact is both first name and last name are of chinese tieu chow background..

Anonymous said...

It was sad story Heng Soy. Perhaps you are my neighbor when I was in Khao I Dang Camp in 1979-1981. I worked in TB hospital in section 3.

Nice to know you any way. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Dear Heng Soy,
Your name is indeed very good. Heng Soy doesn't not means bad at all. It means luckily. It is far better than Heng and is not completely soy.
Eg, Heng Soy, you will win a big lottery. Heng Soy, you are elected.
Therefore, keep up with your good work and Heng Soy, you will be chosen to be Prime Minister of Cambodia to replace the present idiot.

Areak Prey

Anonymous said...

Dear Heng Soy,
Not thing wrong with your name, as long you are happy, your name it's the gift that your parent give it to you.

Please do not fee bad, good luck.

Anonymous said...

The word Heng Soy is Chinese origin.
The Chinese Triv Chiv say HengSoy, the Chinese Mandarin say FengShui.
In Khmer we separate the two to become Heng (lucky) and Soy (unlucky) but it actually one word.

Anonymous said...

Mark Twin would called you :
Heng Tom Sayer

Heng Soy is the smartest one among Khmer intellectuals

battambangnative said...

Dear Heng Soy,

Should there be a "tobe" somewhere in heaven where all the brave and innocent Khmers gather to keep an eye on their offsprings, I am sure your parents would be there keeping an eye on you. And having seen the excellent work that you have been doing for the Khmer nation they would have indeed been very proud. It is a reflection of their good genes and of your aunt's good parenting skills that you turned out the way you have. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Dear Heng Soy - Name is just something we use to identify who we are as an individual, a member of a family, a member of a society/community. It doen't matter our parent name us to be. But you should proud as a Khmer child, smart and you have contributed a lot to help khmer. Unlike those we call sdech, Ek Udom but act worsen then animal not worth to be human.

So be proud of yourself as one of a finest kaun khmer. I wish my children are as smart as you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Heng Soy, I'm sorry to hear your sad story. Please keep up with your excellent work.

Anonymous said...

it is the "nom de plume," why are you fooling your readers, heng soy?

Anonymous said...

You are doing a honest work and not a corrupted person like most officials in Cambodia. When the Karma arrives, you neither Heng NOW nor Soy later. If you know what I meant.. God with you all the time. Smile

Anonymous said...

My heartfelt thanks to you Heng Soy for all your past commitment to helping bring sensitive news in Khmer society to the world. My admiration to you. All the best

Anonymous said...

HengSoy, your life story is not coherent enough for me, if that is what you want to hear, I agree with you 100%, if not, your father could be alive, if the camp was Khao-I-Dang, the story would be a fiction.
Yuons invaded Cambodia in January1979, Chinese Cambodians were at the border May 1979, few months later Thais bring them to DANGREK mountain, JUMRUM JASS, JUMRUM TMEI, JUMRUM KOK JOONG are born arround September 1979, Khao-I-Dang is born after, may be October,
I was there, I had no gold, very poor but I came in Khao-I-Dang 100 times easier than your father.

Anonymous said...

Dear Heng Soy,

Thank you for sharing your story, even though it is really sad to read about the loss of your parents.

I would encourage Cambodians to write similar accounts about their past for a number of reasons, one of which is that writing truthfully and reflecting on one's past can be an important catharsis that contributes to both personal and societal healing. At least in suffering all human beings are equal. We all tremble before danger and grieve the loss of our loved one. So the greater the suffering, the greater should be the collective resolve to find unity and harmony, particularly, at a time as present plagued with divisions and strife.

If I may also point out if your account were accurate then you were born within the boundary of the Thai state, but not in the land of the Thais. In deed, from the standpoint of history and geography you were born in the land of the Khmers as most parts of what is now Thailand had been part of Khmer territories from before recorded time and had been - still has - inhabited and controlled by ethnic Khmers for far longer than they have been under the Thai/Siamese state, just as Khmers born in Kampuchea Krom are entitled to claim their Khmer/Cambodian birth place.

Although the present State of Cambodia is much smaller than surrounding neighbours, the actual extent or potentiality of the Khmer universe is still sizable in both language and geography and will always be there regardless of shifting political boundaries. The challenge will be to link those areas to Cambodia culturally, economically and politically through a network of highways that had once strung together various regions of the Khmer Empire.

As you mentioned Einstein, may I also leave another one of his quotes:

'Peace can not be achieved through force; only through understanding can it be realised.'


School of Vice

Anonymous said...

'Peace can not be achieved through force; only through understanding can it be realised.'


School of Vice

8:38 PM

YEST MAY YOU REST IN PEACE SOON WITH AH KWACK HUN XEN!!!!!8:38!

Anonymous said...

Or how about Heng Samrinsy?