Tuesday, November 30, 2010

DISSENT!

By Khmer Democrat, Phnom Penh
Expanding our Mind Series


Dr. DOAN VIET HOAT



Dr. Doan Viet Hoat, Theary Seng, Harry Wu at the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights gala for George Clooney (NYC, Nov. 17,
2010).

Doan Viet Hoat
is known as the Sakharov of Vietnam for his intellectual range and outspoken role as leader of the democratic movement, even from the prison cell. Hoat protested the South Vietnamese government's suppression of Buddhists in the 1960s while still a student. He went to study in the US and got a Ph.D. in Education in 1971. Returning back to Vietnam in 1971, he concentrated on upgrading Van Hanh University (a Buddhist private university in Saigon) to the world level of a modern institution of higher learning. In April 1975, when North Vietnam took over South Vietnam, Hoat stayed in Vietnam.

By 1976, Hoat was imprisoned when the new authorities embarked on mass arrests of intellectuals, and he spent the next twelve years confined to a cramped cell, shared with forty others. Upon his release, Hoat began publishing an underground magazine, entitled Freedom Forum (Dien Dan Tu Do). Only months later, he was detained without trial for two years, then in March 1993, sentenced to twenty years in prison for "attempting to overthrow the people's government." Throughout his imprisonment, Hoat continued to issue statements on democracy and to offer criticism of the regime that were sent out of the prisons clandestinely. The Vietnamese government transferred Hoat from one detention center to another, in an attempt to silence him, but everywhere he went, Hoat's charismatic temperament won over fellow prisoners and guards alike, who sought his counsel and carried out his letters.

Finally, Hoat was sent to the most remote prison in the country, Thanh Cam Labor Camp, Thanh Hoa province, and all prisoners were removed from the cells adjacent to his own. He spent four and a half years in solitary confinement until, in September 1998, after intense international pressure, Doan Viet Hoat was released, then exiled. He now lives in the United States, and continues his movement for human rights and democracy for Vietnam.

- Kerry Kennedy


Photo taken for Speak Truth to Power by Pulitzer award-winner Eddie Adams

I spent twenty years in Vietnamese prisons, and was in isolation for four years. I was forbidden all pens, papers, and books. To keep my spirits up I practiced yoga and Zen meditation. I did a lot of walking. I had access to a small yard from 6 a.m. till 4 p.m., so I gardened-small cabbages mostly. I sang, I talked to myself. The guards thought I was mad, but I told them if I did not talk to myself I would go mad. I tried to take it easy, to think of my cell as home, as though I had entered a religious way of life, like a monk. My family was Buddhist and I had many good friends who were monks. I learned yoga as a student. In isolation as I had no books, I just had to use my mind. Zen meditation helped-with it you turn inside. You have to be calm, to make your mind calm, to think this was just a normal way of life. During the first one or two years this was very difficult, but I got used to it. Every day passed, like every other day. I wrote and recited a lot of poems I had learned by heart. This was a way to keep my mind alert, and helped to clarify my thoughts. As soon as I was released, one of the first things I did in America was to write down the poems from my mind that I recited in prison-now they have published a second volume of them.

The knowledge that it could have been worse in solitary confinement helped. I knew that others survived more severe treatment, and their resilience was an important source of courage. If they could persevere, so could I. Here's one ironic example. When I first came there, the first day, they asked me if I wanted to buy any necessary things, and they gave me a piece of paper to write a list. And I wrote down many things, including a fan. I had in mind a small, handmade fan. But they thought I had asked for an electric fan, unheard of in prison. So they were very angry. I didn't understand why they were angry, when I asked for just a fan. Eventually, word arrived from the minister, or the ministry officials, who had agreed to let me buy an electric fan. And one official came in and he said, "Your electric fan-made in China or Japan?" Well, I was very surprised, but knew by this incident how they were going to treat me-not so badly. But about one week later everything became clearer. One day it was terribly hot. I turned on the fan, and it did not work. I asked the official and he told me that to save energy, from now on, power would be cut off during the daytime. I observed that there was still power in the entire camp, except in my area. And every year, once or twice, they came into my cell to videotape me, sitting there, reading some newspaper, one month outdated, and with the electric fan always vividly behind me.


The common criminals clandestinely listened to illegal radio broadcasts from abroad on the BBC, or RFI (Radio France International) about me and about my cause fighting for human rights.
Prison conditions were unbearable, They were beaten almost every day. So they asked for my help. I secretly wrote a report about the conditions at the camp, and the other prisoners smuggled it out to my family in Saigon. The officials found out about that because my friend sent a letter back to me in a piece of pork, and the officials (who check everything very carefully) found the letter. They knew therefore that I had written about the camp, so they quickly sent the letter to the minister of interior affairs, who in turn sent inspectors to the camp-and finally life improved. They stopped beating the prisoners, they removed the officials who liked beating prisoners, they improved meals, and now they even have musical groups who sing every day to make the camp very lively! I realized that our voice had been heard by the international community. I felt more inspired.

I had been writing other essays criticizing the regime, and fellow prisoners in all the camps I had gone through got them out for me. After I wrote the reports the officials increased their efforts to isolate me. They removed prisoners from the cells all around me. They blocked up the window of my cell so that no one could get in touch with me. It became unbearably hot because no air could circulate. I developed high blood pressure. They put in a new door so I couldn't see out and for the two last years it was very bad for me.


Still, I felt that if I kept silent in jail, then the dictators had won.
And I wanted to send a message to the people who wanted to fight for freedom that the dictators could not win by putting us in jail. I wanted to prove that you cannot, by force, silence someone who doesn't agree with you. That's why the prisoners, both political and criminal, tried to circulate my writings. Without their help I could not have sent my messages out. We united to continue our fight for freedom and democracy, even from within the prison walls.

My dream for the future is a dream of Vietnam. Our country has a long history of people who fought against aggression and injustice. Our highest calling is love of country, as has been demonstrated by many Vietnamese patriots in the past. I, too, have been moved by the love of my country and also by the greatness of my country's future and the world's future. I believe in a very bright future for Vietnam and for the whole region of Southeast Asia. Time has passed too slowly for my country and my people, and left a long history of suffering. So these thoughts make me unable to keep silent-my knowledge, vision, and love of country urge me to speak. And I always believe that truth, justice, and compassion will prevail, no matter how strong the dictators are, no matter how bad the situation might be.


Dr. Doan Viet Hoat with the Kennedys at the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights Gala honoring George Clooney (NYC, Nov. 17, 2010).

Sources: Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights’ Speak Truth to Power – www.speaktruth.org/defend/profiles/profile_21.asp

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LONG LIVE VIET NAM...

Good work hun sen and cpp.. and thank you for SOK SIPHANA, SARIN DENORA and PHAY Siphan for your lip services to support your master in Hanoi

AND KOS PICH Own by HUN SEN and Family under the name Canadia Bank Mr. SEA

Just like TELA GAS Station all over Cambodia which own by BUN RANY HUN SEN under different name.

87 of our vietnamese brothers and sisters die there but the cambodia government did not report this... but are understand to do what it take for US to control this sutpid country call CAMBODIA

LONG LIVE VIET NAM...

Good work hun sen and cpp.. and thank you for SOK SIPHANA, SARIN DENORA and PHAY Siphan for your lip services to support your master in Hanoi

AND KOS PICH Own by HUN SEN and Family under the name Canadia Bank Mr. SEA

Just like TELA GAS Station all over Cambodia which own by BUN RANY HUN SEN under different name.

87 of our vietnamese brothers and sisters die there but the cambodia government did not report this... but are understand to do what it take for US to control this sutpid country call CAMBODIA

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Khmer Democrat, for this posting. It reminds us that the fight for human rights and freedom is universal, in Cambodia as in Vietnam as in Burma as in Thailand as in the western countries. Peace to our neighbor Vietnam. May democracy flower there, as we wish it to flower here in our beloved Cambodia.

Anonymous said...

អាខ្វាក់អវិជ្ជាអាស៊ីជោហ៊ុនសែននិងបរិវារបស់វាងាប់

ទៅសោយទុក្ខក្នុងលោហគម្ភីនរកម្នាក់ๆ

មួយអសង្ខេយ្យកាំរៃមួយសែនកប្ប ហើយស៊ីភ្លើង

ទង់ដែងជាអាហាររួចហើយព្រលឹងពពួកអ្នកស្លាប់

ក្រោមស្នាដៃអាខ្វាក់និងបរិវារបស់វាពួគគេនឹងចាក់

ភ្នែកវាឲ្យខ្វាក់ម្ខាងទៀតដើម្បីឲ្យរាងចាលនូវអំពើ

ព្រៃផ្សៃរបស់ពួកវាបើមិនរាងទេយមរាជគេនឹងដាក់

ដាក់ទោសបន្ថែមទៀត។

ជូនអាខ្វាក់ហ៊ុនសែន អាទំពែកហេងសំរិន

អាកញ្ចាស់ជាស៊ីមនិងបរិវាររបស់ពួកវាដោយ

សេចក្ដីទោមនស្សយ៉ាងកំហឹងក្រៃលែង

ពីអញ់ជីតាពួកអ្ហែង

Anonymous said...

Viets wanna take Cambodia...
There's no Freedom Dude !

Anonymous said...

គណបក្សប្រឆាំងនៅប្រទេសកម្ពុជាមិនខុសអំពី
ពលពតទេ។ពីព្រោះគណបក្សប្រឆាំងនៅប្រទេសកម្ពុជាធ្វើដួចជាពលពតឥញ្ជឹងថាតើហេតុអ្វី?ខ្ញុំបានដឹងបានយល់នៅអំពើដែលគណបក្សនេះបានធ្វើជារាងរាល់
ថ្ងៃ។នៅក្នុងជុំនាន់ពលពតខ្ញុំបានឃើញនៅមនុស្ស
ដែលពុំចេះអ្វីទាំងអស់ហើយបានធ្វើធំនៅជុំនាន់
ពលពតគឺមានមនុស្សមួយចំនួនដែលនៅក្រោយផ្ទះ
របស់ខ្ញុំកាលពីសម័យឆ្នាំ១៩៧០អ្នកទាំងនោះមិន
ដែលបានរកស៊ីទរទួលទានឲ្យបានពិតប្រកដទេ
មានតែការដើរហើរដោយគ្មានទីពឹងពិតប្រកដជា
រាងរាល់ថ្ងៃ។ហើយក៏បានធ្វើជាអ្នកធំម្នាក់ដែលនៅក្នុងសម័យពលពតហើយមិនដែលគិតពិចារណា
ឲ្យបានដិតដល់ទេដោយយកតែកំហឹងមកដាក់ក្នុង
ចិត្តហើយក៏មានការកាប់សម្លាប់ប្រជាជនស្លួតត្រង់
ខ្មែរអស់រាប់លាននាក់នៅក្នុងសម័យពលពតកាន់
កាប់ប្រទេសជាតិ។នៅក្នុងសម័យពលពតពុំមាន
អ្នកចេះដឹងទាល់តែសោះ។
ឥឡូវសម័យនេះបែជាមានពួកទាំងហ្នឹងមកតាម
យាយ៉ីពលរដ្ធខ្មែរម្តងទៀតគឺជាគណបក្សប្រឆាំង
តែម្តង។មនុស្សនៅក្នុងគណបក្សប្រឆាំងគឺគ្មានអ្នក
ណាមួយល្អទេគឺមនុស្សទាំងនោះមានតែការសង
សឹករវាងខ្មែរនឹងខ្មែររវាងរដ្ធាភិបាលនឹងរដ្ធាភិបាល
គណបក្សប្រឆាំងធ្វើអ្វីច្រើនតែខុសនឹងច្បាប់លុះដល់ច្បាប់គេចាត់ការរករឿងបែទៅជាចូលជាមួយ
បក្សប្រឆាំងដើម្បីទិន្ទានមករាជរដ្ធាភិបាលទៅវិញ
នៅសហរដ្ធអាមេរិកមានខ្មែរមួយចំនួនតួចដែល
ដែលពួកគាត់បានកើតក្រោយឆ្នាំ១៩៧៩ពួកគាត់មិនបានដឹងនៅអ្វីៗដែលរបបពលពតបានធ្វើនោះទេ
ថាហីទៅចុះចំណែកឯពលរដ្ធខ្មែរមួយចំនួនដែល
បានដឹងបានយល់អំពីរបបពលពតសឹងតែបាត់បង់នៅជីវិតថែមទៀតនៅក្នុងជុំនាន់ពលពតទៅហើយនោះហេតុអ្វីបែទៅមិនបានយល់នៅអ្វីៗដែលពួក
គាត់បានធ្វើសព្វថ្ងៃនេះទៅវិញ?ហើយពួកគាត់
ទាំងនោះហើយដែលខំដង្ហោយហៅរកអ្នកដែល
មកជួយជីវិតរបស់ពួកគាត់នៅក្នុងសម័យពលពត
កាន់កាប់ប្រទេសដោយមានការកាប់សម្លាប់ដ៏សែន
ឃោឃៅនៅក្នុងជុំនាន់នោះ។ក្រុមបក្សពួករបស់
សមរង្សីគឺគ្មានអ្វីដែលជាអ្នកគំគួនអ្នកច្រណែននិន្ទា
រវាងខ្មែរនឹងខ្មែរនោះទេ។

Anonymous said...

http://darakhmernewss.blogspot.com

http://cambodges-newe.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

It's great to see an intelligent face out in the world representing Cambodia and meeting other leaders. We need more Cambodian, particularly women, ROLE MODELS, like Theary Seng!

Anonymous said...

FUCK THE VIET GOOK! THEY ARE ALL COMMUNIST NO MATTER WHAT! THEY WORK TOGETHER! SOMETHING KHMER DON'T HAVE!

Anonymous said...

ចុះអាខ្វាក់​ ហ៊ុនសែន ជាអាណា មិនជាអាពតរឺ?