Friday, November 26, 2010

Hippocratic Oath

The Hippocratic Oath (Modern Version)

Upon graduation, many medical students take a modern version of the oath written by Louis Lasagna (dean of School of Medicine of Tufts University) in 1964.


I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say
"I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must
not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The responsible of the stampede is the guy who created the panic on the bridge.

Anonymous said...

For the Cambodian Doctors, DOLLARS first, or They let you die like dogs.

Please go amd check any sate or private Hospitals; There are no scientific and technical records of the patients. All you can see is just non-readible and bad hand- writing records that can not be used for medical investigations or Research.

They are nor Doctors . They are just DOLLARS.

A retired Doctor in PPenh.

Anonymous said...

in the short or long run hun sen his family and hius cliques will be deserved the same fate,. even if hun sen die he has,now, to know or understand that his family and all cliques will deserve a pay to Cambodian. they will never evade the justice and spirit of innocent people.

Anonymous said...

This new version is so much better and easy to understand than the original. Perfect for us as human being.

Anonymous said...

ពួកអាប្រឆាំងទាំងអស់នេះបើបានស្លាប់នៅកណ្តាល
ស្ពានកោះពេជ្រនឹងមិនដឹងជាប្រជាជនសប្បាយប៉ុណ្ណា
ទេបើតាមគិតមើល។ពួកអាប្រឆាំងទាំងនេះបើបាន
អាមេបក្សរបស់ពួកវាស្លាប់វិញរកតែខ្មែរទៅដង្ហែរខ្មោច
មេពួកវាក៏គ្មានដែរ។
បើអញមិនបានជេបញ្ចោអាពួកប្រឆាំងមួយក្តាប់តួច
នេះមួយថ្ងៃដួចជាស៊ីបាយមិនឆ្ងាញ់ទាល់តែសោះ។
បើបានជេពូជអាអគតិមួយមាត់ពិតជាចង់ចុយក្តិត
ប្រពន្ធវាដល់ហើយ។

Anonymous said...

what do u expect in patronage system? system force peple to work for high ranking and high rankings work for youn. khmers now treated like slaves work until youn immigrat outnumber khmer. power from father to sons to clans. what are those high rankings care?

Anonymous said...

បើអញមិនបានជេបញ្ចោអាពួកប្រឆាំងមួយក្តាប់តួច
នេះមួយថ្ងៃដួចជាស៊ីបាយមិនឆ្ងាញ់ទាល់តែសោះ។
បើបានជេពូជអាអគតិមួយមាត់ពិតជាចង់ចុយក្តិត
ប្រពន្ធវាដល់ហើយ។

wow!! Too many people die because of the cripple government and ah muy nish vear noy te kit pi reoung joy pro poan ke, chos propoan ah heng touk oy ah nah joy?

Kulen Monorom said...

Your Majesty Samdech Ta former King Norodom Sihanouk,

Prime Minister Samdech Hun Sen,

Thank you for your both kindness and understanding.
What we need is prevention methods, not to let this type of accident happen again in the future.

It also makes me very worried to see so much alcohol allowed to enter or be produced in our beloved Kingdom of Cambodia? What about “ YA BA “ and other types of DRUGS from Thailand and Vietnam?

Can His Majesty Samdech Ta and Samdech Hun Sen stop all sorts of drugs coming to Cambodia? The accident may not be related to drugs and alcohol but just some thing that I could not sleep peacefully from now on to the future, in the names sake of true Khmer citizen.

Can Samdech Hun Sen kindly ask all 5 million Vietnamese illegal immigrants to peacefully return to Vietnam, so Koh Pich will not be too crowded more and more every day, every month and every year to come.
All Vietnamese illegal immigrants can easily come in and settle inside Cambodia even though they already have their own country Vietnam.

When Cambodia is too crowded, definitely we Khmer people can not go to settle inside Vietnam, can we?
Please Vietnamese, you said you came to rescue us from Pol Pot, and you don’t want to return home, it is not right according to 23rd October 1991 Paris Peace Agreement, can all of you go back to your country now.

Vietnamese illegal immigrants, you see because 5 million of you are inside Cambodia, it makes us too crowded and we wasted our lives at Koh Pich without good reasons.

Your Vietnamese Communism expansionist mind in Cambodia, is to give an excuse to China mainland to occupy your Spratly Islands, Parcel Islands, the whole of your Eastern sea border and perhaps the Northern border sooner or later.

5 million Vietnamese illegal immigrants in Cambodia, please go back home to defend your country from Chinese mighty economic invasion.

May I pray to God and the Lord Jesus Christ that those who have lost loved one will be comforted.

My condolences to all the victim's family.

Regards,

Kulen Monorom
(The rice farmer's son)

Anonymous said...

បើអញមិនបានជេ​បញ្ចោអាពួកប្រឆាំងមួយក្តាប់តួច​នេះមួយថ្ងៃដួច​ជា​ស៊ីបាយមិនឆ្ងាញ់ទាល់តែសោះ។ បើបាន​ជេពូជ​អា​អគតិមួយមាត់ពិតជាចង់ចុយក្តិតប្រ​ពន្ធ​វា​ដល់​ហើយ។​
ក្នុងនាមជាពលរដ្ឋខ្មែរ ខ្ញុំសូមឲ្យមនុស្សទាំងឡាយ​ណាដែលចូលចិត្តជេរដូចពាក្យខាងលើនេះ មេត្តារកសាលាណាល្អៗចូលរៀនដើម្បីដុសខាត់ខួរក្បាលដែលដុះស្នឹមដោយលាមកសត្វដ៏ថោកទាបចេញបានឆាបើទៅកុំទុកនូវនាំអាសោចកិត្តិយសកេរ្ត៍ឈ្មោះជាកូនខ្មែរដែលជាជាតិសាស្រ្តដ៏មានសុជីវធម៌តាំងពីដូនតាមក កុំសូវរៀនសូត្រតែរបៀប​ថោកទាបដូចឪសែនពេក​កុំឲ្យមានដំនៀលថាសំដីសជាតិមាយាទសពូជ។

Anonymous said...

Take the oath,but not put to use,not follow,and not be responsible;it means nothing.
Who are responsible at Water Festival in Phnom Penh capital? Who is the prime minister in Cambodia? who is the governor in this capital?Then the last one,who is the police chief in charge?All leaders above are responsible to the dead and injured people.Hun Xen,Kep Chuktema,and touch Naroth must resign from their post.