Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cambodian tot, heart repaired and in good shape, returning to Long Beach

10/17/2011
By Greg Mellen, Staff Writer
Long Beach Press Telegram (California, USA)

LOS ANGELES — A Cambodian toddler brought to the United States for life-saving open heart surgery was discharged from a hospital Monday, 10 days after the successful operation.
As Bunlak Song, 3, was changing from his hospital gown into his street clothes, he was asked if he knew where he was going.

"I'm going to Kimie's house," he said in Khmer, referring to Kimberly Chhun, the toddler daughter of Peter Chhun, whose nonprofit sponsored the boy. "I want to play with Kimie."

"He was so happy when he got his real clothes on," Chhun said.


Bunlak had a sizable hole in his heart, called a ventricular septal defect, repaired by Dr. Cynthia Herrington at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. The boy also had a smaller defect repaired.

He will next return to the hospital Oct. 24 for a followup exam.

Orphaned at birth and taken in by a Cambodian family, Bunlak was unable to receive the treatment in his homeland.

Hearts Without Boundaries, a small nonprofit organization in Long Beach, brought the boy to the U.S. for treatment. A group of donors, particularly Dr. Shaun Grady, paid for the treatment. Herrington donated her services and Children's Hospital gave the boy a special rate, including donating the post-operative medications, Bunlak took home.

The boy will continue to recuperate in Long Beach until doctors clear him to return to Cambodia.

Bunlak is the fourth child Hearts Without Boundaries has sponsored for successful heart operations.

More information on the nonprofit is available online at heartswithoutboundaries.org or on its Facebook page.

greg.mellen@presstelegram.com, 562-499-1291

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BREAKING NEW,My name is Pang Sokheoun (Khmer Sovanaphumi) would like to confess my sin..i did something that a gentleman like me shouldn't have done, by listening n cooperated with my gf Sokunthear sam hacking n stealing someone pics without their consent to defame someone innocent ..i ( Pang Sokheoun) always accused someone of being abusive n attacking my personal issues, but now me n my mistress Sokunthear Sam are being stupid by invading someone privacy accounts...now i think God will punish both of us my lightning strike soon....furthermore me(Pang Sokheoun) n my mistress SOKUNTHEAR SOM sincerly would like to apologize to the public for hacking n stealing someone else personal ids....best regard..

Anonymous said...

HI, My name is Pang SOKUEON KNOWN AS (KHMER SOVANAPHUMI in facebook)...i'm here to apologize to the people in facebook world, n to the KI-MEDIA for my part being a dickhead, hacking n stealing someone personal accounts, now i think those innocent people found out it was the work of me n my mistress SOKUNTHEAR SOM to defame them, they will go after me in every directions....i knew what i did was wrong, but did it anyway, now i'm so scare of repercussion from those innocent people....i thought i was smart, but infact i was the world dumbest person ever for being so disgrace to the public....