Friday, November 15, 2013
Police Denying Responsibility for Vendor’s Shooting Death
By Kong Sothanarith, VOA Khmer, Nov. 15, 2013
PHNOM PENH - Cambodian police have so far denied responsibility for the shooting death of a street vendor near violent clashes with protesters earlier this week.
Eng Sokhom was struck in the chest by a bullet and later died at the hospital, following clashes between protesters and police on Tuesday outside the home of Prime Minister Hun Sen.
“I need justice for my wife,” her husband, Nget Vorng, told VOA Khmer on Thursday.
Police have since denied media reports that they were responsible and say that they have no evidence connecting police to the shooting.
“This is an incident in which we cannot determine [the shooter], but we have set up a committee [to investigate],” Choun Narin, deputy police chief for Phnom Penh, told reporters. “I would like to ask, who clearly saw police shooting at people?”
Chan Saveth, senior investigator for the rights group Adhoc, said there is evidence police are responsible.
“If police say they’re not responsible for the shooting, what about those who were wounded by those bullets?” he asked. “Who is responsible for that? Police cannot deny their responsibility in this violent armed crackdown.”
Posted by Jendhamuni at 5:21 AM