Thursday, November 08, 2007

Vietnam to hold a hearing to sentence former Monk Tim Sakhorn

07 November 2007
By Kim Pov Sottan
Radio Free Asia

Translated from Khmer by Heng Soy

A source among Khmer Krom people indicated that the Vietnamese authority will hold a hearing in the case of Tim Sakhorn, the former abbot of Phnom Den pagoda, on Thursday 08 November, after his more than 4-month of detention.

Chau In, the leader of a group of land protesters in Kampuchea Krom (South Vietnam) in Motr Chrouk (An Giang in Vietnamese) province, said that the Vietnamese police sent summon letters to him and 3 other villagers so that they show up at the hearing to be held at the Motr Chrouk provincial court.

Chau In added that he will not show up because he has no confidence in the authority which in the past sent him summon letters also, but when he showed up, he ended up being arrested and jailed instead.

Chau In said: “They (VN) indicated the time which is 07:00 AM, I must show up at the An Giang provincial (court). On this issue, I am not going because I was tricked many times already. I respect the law, but when I go there is never any resolution, they just give me hardship.”

The summons for people to participate in the hearing was issued only to land protesters in Motr Chrouk province because in the past, the Vietnamese authority accused these protesters of receiving support from Ven. Tim Sakhorn to conduct their activities to oppose the Vietnamese authority.

Yeay Pher, a 70-year-old woman who was jailed by the Vietnamese authority for two days, right after the arrest made against Monk Tim Sakhorn, and who was beaten up by the Vietnamese authority which forced her to confess that she received money from Monk Tim Sakhorn to demonstrate in land disputes, said that she will not show up and act as a witness in this hearing.

Yeay Pher said: “They (VN) came from the provincial office, they told me to affix my thumbprint for them, to sign for them and they will release Ven. Tim Sakhorn. If I give my thumbprint for the release (of Monk Tim Sakhorn), I will provide my thumbprint on their paper, I refused, I argued, I refused to go, even if they give another 100 (summons), they give me a car to ride, I categorically refuse to go. No matter how many they give me, I will never go. They can take me to torture gain, I will never believe them.”

Tim Thiem, the father of Monk Tim Sakhorn, who currently lives in Cambodia, was not summoned to participate in this hearing. He said that his son was blameless, and he should be released, why then is there a hearing from him?

Trinh Ba Cam, Hanoi’s mouthpiece in Phnom Penh, did not receive information about this hearing yet: “I did not receive the information about this issue. Normally, this is how it is, if there is a violation, we must investigate, and we will judge the case according to the law. This is only normal.”

Monk Tim Sakhorn, the former abbot of Phnom Den pagoda, in Takeo province, was defrocked by the Phnom Penh regime at the end of June. He was accused of undermining the Vietnam-Cambodia relationship.

After his defrocking, the Vietnamese authority arrested him and put him in jail, based on Article 87 of the Vietnamese criminal code, he is accused of destroying the solidarity policy because, while wearing the Buddhist saffron robe, he incited people, and he made up stories to condemn the Vietnamese authority.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No leader of Cambodia seems to understand that other Khmer people left behind and has been accused of Khmer Yuon. Actually, they are our Khmer people, we need to stand up and fight what's right to our people. Human Right has been abuse and take land from individual Khmer Krom people. Think?

Anonymous said...

Nope, Khmer people will not associated with notorious killers and terrorists (Ah Khmer-Yuons).

Anonymous said...

^ Sorry but I am Khmer and I will associate with Khmer Krom because they are Khmer. If you call them terrorists, then you sir are a terrorist of among Khmers.

Anonymous said...

Nope, you are not Khmer. You are a Khmer-Yuon criminals (one of them).

Anonymous said...

A Yuon Si Chke must put to dead; so we will not see A Si Chke agian at KI.

Anonymous said...

Keep on hallucinating, fool.

Anonymous said...

For any fool to make the Khmer Krom as illegal alien in Cambodia and it would be the Vietcong themselves!

The fucken Vietcong took the Khmer Kampuchea Krom land and make the Khmer Krom people as illegal alien in their country! All of you Khmer people in Cambodia better watch out because the Vietcong are coming!

What the Vietcong can do to the Khmer Krom people and they certainly can do to the Khmer people in Cambodia!

Welcome to the world of Vietcong!