Tuesday, May 12, 2009

An olive branch of hope

Written by Mu Sochua, MP
Tuesday, 12 May 2009
Although the fight is far from over, I remain hopeful that there shall be justice. I rest in peace now because I know that millions of women the world over fight the same fight and that our networks are more powerful than the power of leaders who control their people through fear.
Posted at: http://cambodianbrightfuture.blogspot.com/
Dear Editor,

I am writing to clarify the meaning of "olive branch", a term used in the article "Mu Sochua offers olive branch to PM Hun Sen over lawsuits" (May 11).

On April 23, 2009, I took a very bold step to sue a man who is greatly feared by the people of Cambodia, and this symbolic legal pursuit has served as a message to the public that fear is only a mental block that will continue to paralyse us unless we look at it straight on and deal with it. The people of Cambodia are still traumatised by the legacy of the Khmer Rouge. It is because of this trauma that we are willing to live through injustices that control our daily lives and even the fate of a nation. If we continue to live in fear, then we will pass it on to our daughters and sons, and thus become part of the web of unchallenged power.

My lawyer presented all the evidence to the prosecutor when he was summoned. I am forever grateful to my lawyer, who is a very brave man, who believes in building justice for our people despite the fact that he is facing a lawsuit filed against him by the prime minister and a complaint by the lawyer of the prime minister with the Cambodian Bar Association for "defaming" the prime minister, but mainly because he dares to defend me. My lawyer could be disbarred as every decision made in this country is controlled by one central system. The price my lawyer might have to pay is too great. The public as well as the international community, who have been part of this process through their statements and watching eyes, should continue to monitor with great vigilance.

Last week I responded positively to an appeal by a war veteran who asked that both lawsuits be withdrawn and for both sides to put the interests of the nation first. I was so moved by his plea, I felt and heard the wisdom in his words. He made that appeal when I was on the Hello VOA call-in program on Voice of America.

I suppose that my response is labelled as an "olive branch" and I feel honoured by this comparison, as in Western culture the olive branch is a symbol of peace or good will, or at least a sign of hope for peace in time of war, and it is handed over by one side of the parties in conflict to the other side. It is far different from defeat or fear. I can only hope that we Cambodians who have long been in conflict with one another will consider the "olive branch" as the lotus flower that we bring to the pagoda to pray for peace.

Although the fight is far from over, I remain hopeful that there shall be justice. I rest in peace now because I know that millions of women the world over fight the same fight and that our networks are more powerful than the power of leaders who control their people through fear.

Mu Sochua, MP
Sam Rainsy Party

From the Phnom Penh Post

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let it be very clear:
surrendering is for your personal interest. Fighting injustice is for national interest.
A good leader chooses national over personal. What kind of leader are you?

Please do not expect Hun Sen to behave rationaly.

son of farmer said...

I totally agree with our beloved 7:08PM!

When does Hun SenVarman unselfishly begin to think about the national interest? Not in this life time! He will be repeatedly insulted her as SamRainsy!

Anonymous said...

A war veteran BUT NOT PEOPLE OF HER PRECINT (KAMPOT), who she represents. A VETERAN, and the only person who made that requested.

Anonymous said...

Khmers are always ruled by fear, not only since the Khmer Rouge, bus since post-Angkor Era.
Khmer Leaders always used fear to control people. So why the desatrous declining consequences we experienced up to present day.
History did not tell anything about how our past leader ruled the country. But records has been done in other far places by its prophets.
So read the following text and see how human nature is in the heart of ungodly rulers, and how to restore the conditions in which society is living in:

Micah 7
Misery Turned to Hope
1 How miserable I am!
I feel like the fruit picker after the harvest
who can find nothing to eat.
Not a cluster of grapes or a single early fig
can be found to satisfy my hunger.
2 The godly people have all disappeared;
not one honest person is left on the earth.
They are all murderers,
setting traps even for their own brothers.
3 Both their hands are equally skilled at doing evil!
Officials and judges alike demand bribes.
The people with influence get what they want,
and together they scheme to twist justice.
4 Even the best of them is like a brier;
the most honest is as dangerous as a hedge of thorns.
But your judgment day is coming swiftly now.
Your time of punishment is here, a time of confusion.
5 Don’t trust anyone—
not your best friend or even your wife!
6 For the son despises his father.
The daughter defies her mother.
The daughter-in-law defies her mother-in-law.
Your enemies are right in your own household!

7 As for me, I look to the Lord for help.
I wait confidently for God to save me,
and my God will certainly hear me.
8 Do not gloat over me, my enemies!
For though I fall, I will rise again.
Though I sit in darkness,
the Lord will be my light.
9 I will be patient as the Lord punishes me,
for I have sinned against him.
But after that, he will take up my case
and give me justice for all I have suffered from my enemies.
The Lord will bring me into the light,
and I will see his righteousness.
10 Then my enemies will see that the Lord is on my side.
They will be ashamed that they taunted me, saying,
“So where is the Lord—
that God of yours?”
With my own eyes I will see their downfall;
they will be trampled like mud in the streets.

11 In that day, Israel, your cities will be rebuilt,
and your borders will be extended.
12 People from many lands will come and honor you—
from Assyria all the way to the towns of Egypt,
from Egypt all the way to the Euphrates River,[a]
and from distant seas and mountains.
13 But the land[b] will become empty and desolate
because of the wickedness of those who live there.
The Lord’s Compassion on Israel
14 O Lord, protect your people with your shepherd’s staff;
lead your flock, your special possession.
Though they live alone in a thicket
on the heights of Mount Carmel,[c]
let them graze in the fertile pastures of Bashan and Gilead
as they did long ago.

15 “Yes,” says the Lord,
“I will do mighty miracles for you,
like those I did when I rescued you
from slavery in Egypt.”

16 All the nations of the world will stand amazed
at what the Lord will do for you.
They will be embarrassed
at their feeble power.
They will cover their mouths in silent awe,
deaf to everything around them.
17 Like snakes crawling from their holes,
they will come out to meet the Lord our God.
They will fear him greatly,
trembling in terror at his presence.

18 Where is another God like you,
who pardons the guilt of the remnant,
overlooking the sins of his special people?
You will not stay angry with your people forever,
because you delight in showing unfailing love.
19 Once again you will have compassion on us.
You will trample our sins under your feet
and throw them into the depths of the ocean!
20 You will show us your faithfulness and unfailing love
as you promised to our ancestors Abraham and Jacob long ago.
--------
A khmer with contrite heart

Anonymous said...

I admire your courage. As a woman, for the sake of the defenseless Khmer people, you are standing up strong against a savage, arrogant, barbaric and cocky dictator who have been completely intoxicated with uncontrolable pride, money, power and personal pleassure. May gods bless you in your endeavour to pursue freedom and justice for Khmers.

Anonymous said...

Dear MP Mu Sochua,

It is quite disappointing that a woman of your status chooses to act immaturely and irresponsibly.
This is not a child game. You are dealing with matters of principles that decent people live and die for. If you’re not ready to stand for and by your decisions, don’t start a fight. No matter how hard you try to justify your actions, your credibility has been tarnished.

Political Observer

Anonymous said...

When the court in Cambodia is somehow unreliable, to fight against those evils, politicians have to be flexible.

Mu Sochua has demonstrated this characteristic.

Weapon of the weak is to provide education and advocate the public. Weapon of the weak cannot sacrifice life when time is not yet come!

To fight against dictator, Cambodia needs more people who can understand the changing situations like Mu Sochua.

Anonymous said...

How can you fight for freedome whenyour hand are tied and the oppressor have the gun and support from world Organazation, UN???????

Fuck your 1933 free election shit!