Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Inspiration to fight for freedom

January 19, 2011
By A. Gaffar Peang-Meth
PACIFIC DAILY NEWS

"If man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression," the world's nations warned as they proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948. "It is essential ... that human rights should be protected by the rule of law."

Tibetan Buddhist leader, the 14th Dalai Lama posited: "Peace can only last where human rights are respected, where people are fed, and where individuals and nations are free," and "it is the inherent right of all beings to yearn for freedom, equality and dignity, and they have an equal right to achieve that."

The concept of equal rights to freedom, equality and dignity was what drew me to study the ideals of America's republicanism when I set foot on U.S. college campus almost 50 years ago: equal rights, equal opportunity, equal treatment.

I continue to be awed by the work of Presidnet Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the self-evident truths, "that all men are created equal ... with certain unalienable rights," and who envisioned an "Empire of Liberty" for America that would uphold republicanism to counter British imperialism. I wanted nothing less for myself, and thought my countrymen should not be denied those truths.

The power of one

Robert F. Kennedy recalled how in history the work of a single person had created great movements of thought and action that swept the world.


Just so, I look for ways to inspire readers to action. A politician from Massachusetts and former president of Harvard University, Edward Everett, wrote, "I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."I have written frequently about how it's possible to disintegrate a dictatorship.

I write to impart and share what I know, to encourage and inspire. But, in the final analysis, Andrew Carnegie's words say it all: "You cannot push anyone up a ladder unless he is willing to climb it himself."

Perseverance

Last month, my wife and I watched the 2002 award winning film, "Whale Rider," about a 12-year old Maori girl's perseverance and determination to overturn the tradition of the Whangara people that dictated only males can be leaders.

Attempts to find a proper male successor failed. The young girl believed she could be the next leader, yet tradition forbade a woman leader; her grandfather was bound by tradition to pick a male leader.

It's a moving story about a grandfather's unyielding stubbornness and hurt; a grand-daughter's love for him and determination to prove her natural leadership ability; life's realities and change; and faith's miracles.

The movie shows change is possible. In the movie's finale, the young girl was celebrated as their leader by the village people and by her grandfather.

Last year, I wrote a column about a humorous award-winning British animated film "Chicken Run." The chickens on evil Mrs. Tweedy's farm dream of a better life outside of a chicken coop that looks like a World War II prisoner of war camp -- surrounded by barbed wire, patrolled by Mr. Tweedy and his ferocious dogs.

I was fascinated to observe what excited my grandchildren, and other children, as they watched the film: A clever hen named Ginger who, though she ends up again and again in solitary in the coal shed, never stops looking for ways to escape to be free.

I caught myself cheering along with the children -- as the chickens in the movie also cheer -- ringleader Ginger's vow: "We either die free chickens or die trying."

A year later, one of my grandsons, then 10, who sees a struggle to be free as inherently human, assured me, "perseverance brings success!"

Inspiration

Clint Eastwood's 2009 film, "Invictus," in which Morgan Freeman plays the role of South Africa's president Nelson Mandela and Matt Damon is the country's white Springboks rugby team captain, Francois Pienaar, is inspiring.

Mandela, an anti-apartheid activist was arrested in 1962 and sentenced to life in prison and performed hard labor for 27 years. He condemned the white Springboks. He said a poem "Invictus" -- Latin for "unconquered" -- inspired him "to stand when all I wanted to do was to lie down. ... I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."

Domestic and external pressures saw his release from jail at age 72. Four years later, Mandela became South Africa's first black president. He wanted then for the white Springboks rugby team to win the third Rugby World Cup in 1995 as a unifying event for his nation. So the black leader and the white rugby team captain joined forces to help unite their racially divided people to support the Springboks as South Africa's rugby team.

Last year, the theme "Rise and rise again until lambs become lions," which encourages to never give up fighting for the cause of liberty -- to persevere, rise and rise again until lions are born out of docile lambs, and liberty is achieved -- emerged in the 2010 adventure film, "Robin Hood," with Russell Crowe as Robin Longstride who fought in 13th century England against the crown and became the symbol of the people's freedom.

Of course, what inspired me may not inspire some others. But share I must!

A. Gaffar Peang-Meth, Ph.D., is retired from the University of Guam. Write him at peangmeth@yahoo.com.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dr Gaffar.

Respectfully,
K.C

Anonymous said...

Please correct on line 18:

Presidnet Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous said...

wow! all in the movie!

Anonymous said...

I am quoting a man I heard on NPR today: "Dictatorship is like a giant with feet of clay"