Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sayonara

Sunday, February 27, 2011
By P. from Long Beach

The wind of democratic revolution has swept through the Middle East and dictators are falling like dominoes. What was thought impossible is NOW possible. What was unthinkable is NOW reality. When a cat corners a mouse, the mouse has no choice left but to fight back and this will the reality that cannot be stopped, not even by a dictator who is protected a 3,000-bodyguard unit.



The democracy enthusiasm has also swept through certain quarters in Southern California: as I roam through the streets, my attention was caught by this impromptu sign mounted on a private truck. Hmmm, that gives me an idea, maybe I should set up my own sign to be mounted on my bicycle that would read: “Yesterday was Tunisia and Egypt, today is Libya, tomorrow? Cambodia”. Well folks, if you happen to see such a sign on a bicycle, you know who the rider will be.

Have you ever missed somebody so much that not hearing from that person makes silence sound deafening? If that happens to you also, please find below a lovely song from Sin Sisamouth expressing very well this heartache feeling:

Sin Sisamouth – Cham Aun Raol Reatrey (Waiting for you every evening)

Talking about heartache, here is another romantic song by Sin Sisamouth:

Sin Sisamouth – Luoch Sneh Luoch Tukh (Stolen love, stolen heartache)


Listening to Sin Sisamouth almost always put one into a romantic mood:

Sin Sisamouth – Cham Nho-nheum Chea Thmei (Waiting for your smile)

Sin Sisamouth – Veasna Khser Teuk Chhou (River destiny)

Finally, one song that always brought fond memories to me is Sayonara by Mao Sareth. As far as I can remember, I was always looking to find this song again although I couldn’t understand why I wanted to hear it so badly. A few years back, a friend told me that he found the song for me. After listening to it, my memory all came back to me: it was somewhere around the mid-60s, one afternoon, I overheard my older brother discussing his plan to go watch a movie with his friend. Being a little pest as usual, I asked and begged my brother to take me along. While usually he would be very accommodating with me, that time the answer was a categorical no. Undeterred, I pestered my mother, telling her how my older brother wouldn’t let me go watch a movie with him. Finally, my mother gave in and she asked my brother why he refused to let me go. “Every time he goes to the theater, all that he does is sleep in the cool room, so it’s a waste of money,” he said. My mother had to cajole him and finally to the theater with him I went. I couldn’t remember what movie it was, only that it was a foreign movie that I did not understand anything about. Sure enough, as predicted by my brother, it did not take long for me to fall sound asleep on my chair. When the movie was about to be over, my brother shook me up to wake me up and I still remembered very clearly the voice of Mrs. Mao Sareth singing: “Sayonara, Japanese goodbye…” Somehow, that song got stuck in my mind since then and every time I remembered my brother, that song came back to memory again and again. My older brother died under the KR regime and all that I have left of him was the memory of this song forever etched on my mind. It took me a while to finally find out that the movie I went to watch with my brother was no other than Irving Berlin’s Sayonara (starring Marlon Brando among others). The title to the song is quite appropriate in the case of my brother: “Sayonara, brother! Hope to meet you again someday”. I hope you would like this song as much as I do.

Sayonara by Irving Berlin (1957):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE69Tiw9Gt0

Mao Sareth – Sayonara

Until next time...

P. from Long Beach

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear all native Khmers in Thailand,

Your great grandparents,
grandparents and your parents are Khmers. All Khmers in Srok Khmer and Khmers around the world are our brothers and sisters. We must wake up and unite. Siem has taken our land and water and controlled up to this day. We must get our land back to Cambodia.

Million native Khmers in Thailand hold a high position in Thai government. All walk of lives of native Khmers in Thailand must realize that Thai army is your enemy. Don’t support Abhisit, Yellow shirt group and Thai army. They are the aggressors against our troops, brothers and sisters along border.

BP

Anonymous said...

Closed the door and beat the fucken dog bitch. Try it!

Anonymous said...

Judging from that South Vietnam flag, I see that there are still wishful dreamers in the good old of USA.

Anonymous said...

Sure the wind of change in the middle east will soon spreading to Cambodia.And I encourage you, P from Long Beach and all Khmer loving peace, freedom and democracy either in Long Beach, Lowell, Montreal, Toronto, San Francisco,Sydney, Melbourne, Paris, London, Oslo and even in Phnom Penh to mount on their trucks, cars, motorbikes with similar sign “Yesterday was Tunisia and Egypt, today is Libya, tomorrow? Cambodia”. Once again thanks P from Long Beach for coming up with such a brilliant idea and for posting nice songs.

Anonymous said...

5:23 pm,

I don't see that people in Phnom Penh dare to do that! Beside the one that have Lexus and Cruzers, etc. are the one have more reason to keep Hun Sen rule until he turn 99 yrs old.

Anonymous said...

Yeay Tep,

Are you waike up yet! Ta P-LB sent thses songs for you. What have you done? Be nice to him!

Generation X

Anonymous said...

Let me didicate the song "waiting..." to my royal friend. When he didn' write me, I thought he had gone to see his royal Qadhafi in Lybia, because Last time he didn't write me for a for a while, once he wrote to me, he told me that he gone to see his royal Mubarak!

OK my royal friend, next time, before you leave to go somewhere---can you just spend your two royal seconds and let me know your royal e-mail..

Ta P-LB...if you know my royal friend, can you tell him that his royal two second make the different!

Anonymous said...

9:48 PM

I wish to see it happen in Cambodia, but most khmer people scare. Finally, they get killed.

As we had already known during Khmer Rouge regime.

So that they can't do anything jsut supporting the dictator to go for 99 years.

Anonymous said...

The vast majority of Cambodians are bunch of cowards.

Khmer Israel said...

You all look to "Democracy" for your salvation. I can tell you even if you find what you are looking for, it won't satisfy what you true inner being desire which is truth, everlasting life, fullness of joy and glory without end.

Yes, what you see and witness offer hope of a better future for humanity but without acknowledging our Creator it will fail in the end. History told me that. I believe history and I know democracy will fail. Simple--a nation that forget God will not long endure. America is sinking because she forget her God.

There is coming a false hope when this world starts crumbling at the seams. The Bible speaks of a false Messiah who will offer people false hope proceed his coming. Many will receive this false Messiah because they refused to believe the truth.

This truth is only found in Jesus Christ, King of Righteousness, king of the Jews. God's wrath has fallen upon nations and it will only get worse from here on. God offers hope through his Son, Jesus Christ if you want to escape his wrath.

Khmer Israel said...

Why America Is Not The Great Anymore

You have to live in denial if you don't believe what I'm telling you.

It was by designed that America is enslaved by the Globalist. America is in so much debt that it will not able to pay it off. It has reached beyond the impossible to reconcile with this enormous debt load.

The next thing will happen is the collapse of the dollar. When that happens the good United States of America will become subject to the United Nations. Rule by foreign power and the Constitution will not be law of the land. This is the plan of the New World Order and it has been in the making for a long time.

I could be wrong in my assessment but this is how I see it for now. Any hope of a recovery in the economic arena is very slim do to manipulation of the Federal Reserve Monetary Policy. Which is not part of the US government at all but control and own by private bankers who basically control the economic wheels that runs America.

This was not Constitutional to have some private bankers control the monetary policy in America. This is what lead America into enslavement to bring America into the New World Order. Money is POWER! By getting America into so much debt to take away her Freedom of self reliance. If you want Big Government...you have to be willing to be their slaves.

Anonymous said...

Thank 5:23PM.Write it what you want,
express your ideas.Time will tell Khmer people how to,when to wake up,stand up,rise up against Hun Sen
and Vietnam in Cambodia.
The more Hun Sen treat Khmer people,
the more they will become to protest.
Some blogger here heard what Hun Sen
said too;THANK MY DEAR BLOGGER.

Anonymous said...

songs would not do it. shower would definitely do it. or if you in cambodia, jump into the pond will do it.

Anonymous said...

Khmer Israel,

Once again, you are full of shit.

You had better move to live in Jerusalem, your god's city if you think America is going to be destroyed soon.

You are a hypocrite full of shit.

Why do you doubt your assessment when you claim to be a good follower of your Jesus. Do you doubt him? Don't you have enough faith in him?

A preacher like you only turns people away from Jesus. You should go to Cambodia or a poor nation somewhere and start working voluntarily to help the poor then you may with some luck draw some people to your Jesus.

You preaching from the comfort of your home in America with words but empty action means nothing. Anyone can memorize and say all those stupid words in your bible.

You say a lot of bad things about America and yet you continue to live there. What a hypocrite full of shit!

Anonymous said...

Luoch Sneh Luoch Tukh = (Stolen love, stolen heartache)?

After listening to the song, one can't help but wondering - if Khmer had one more translator of this P.-from- Long-Beach kind (UNTAC time translator to be precise), Khmer may as well start taking up Vietnamese!!!

RFI

Anonymous said...

we going to free in asean now if CHINA,VIETNAME,CAMBODIA,BURMA AND LOAV still communist we going to cut off from WTO and so on we neet to clean all communist in asia no matter what they must chang now we will stop all dectator ship now

Anonymous said...

ar-king your mother fucker we atr on the way no matter what we must killyou all because,you put my contry down all norodom king is not real khmer so we no exatly who is family king is youn

Anonymous said...

sorry, P, can't help you there. RFI was right, you totally missed the meaning of 'luoch' in this one.

unrequited love or secretly loving may be closer to the meaning of the song...

Anonymous said...

by the way, what's an RFI? Radio Free India?

Anonymous said...

RFI = Radio France Internationale