Thursday, May 26, 2011

Reminiscing about members of the Drakhar band ... by one of its former members

The Drakhar band
An anonymous reader of KI-Media wrote the following note after seeing the photo above:

Thanks to whoever post this photo.

The year was around 1963 we were so crazy about the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

From the left: My little buddy Chattany (Shorty) was so dedicated to playing solo guitar, damn near flunk out of high school.

Sitting down center: the ever troublesome boy on Rue Pasteur, and my comrade in arms Khoun Chunn (passed away 2 years ago in LB, CA) played bass. Khoun was an Army officer with the Khmer Republic, and a kick-ass artillery commander, and a close air support coordinator with the US airstrike, we fought the VC and KR together in those eternal days and nights down the big river south of PPenh. We stopped singing in English but we call for bombs in English to save PPenh and the rest.

R.I.P buddy we miss you!

The guy with the mustache is Thol the drummer (who took my place as I moved on from the Drakhar to play with other notorious bands).

My memory just failed me I do not recall the name of the boy on the far right, he must be the singer for the group.

Memory..like the corners of my eyes... misty watercolor memory... of the way we were...!

Scattered pictures... of the smiles we left behind...smile we gave to one another... for the way we were.....!

Chattany I know you are still alive, this is your classmate from Class de sixieme, Lycee Sisowath, remember, we originated the idea of a band together back then.

Be happy and stay out of Jail you hear me!

Ah Khmeng Wat!

The Beatles: Baby It's You (1963)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaf_To1xEe0&feature=related

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Vietgook Empire is now Called Great Vietgook Expired.

Great Vietgook Expired is now offical name called Chinaviet province of wonder.

Welcome! Welcome to Chinaviet The Province Of Wonder!

LOL

Anonymous said...

Welcome! Welcome!

Great Khmer Empire is now Called Great Khmer Expired.

Great Khmer Expired is now offical name called Nambodia province of wonder.

Welcome! Welcome to Nambodia The Province Of Wonder!