Saturday, October 15, 2011

Teuk Lech Phum Aun (ទឹកលិច ភូមិអូន)

Stranded elderly Cambodian couple (Photo: The Phnom Penh Post)
Dear Readers,

After watching the flood in Srok Khmer and in Thailand, a song immediately comes to my mind: Teuk Lech Phum Aun (ទឹកលិច ភូមិអូន) . It took me a while to find this song again, but along the way, an idea came to mind: how easy or difficult would it be to find traditional Khmer songs interpreted by popular singers from the 60s? To make the challenge somewhat worthwhile, I thought that it would be even more interesting if the music in these songs is interpreted using traditional Khmer musical instruments only. Several hours of searching later, I came up with the following songs which vary from Mohori music to traditional Khmer wedding songs.

So Savoeun - Teuk Lech Phoum Aun

Sin Sisamouth - Klen Phka M'liss

Hem Sovann - Chom-ork Neang Lvea

Ros Sereysothea - Bampe

Ros Sereysothea - Bek Chan

Sin Sisamouth - Chum Cheat (Kat Khan Sla)

Sin Sisamouth - Prapun La'or Teng Ter Chanh Pdey

Sin Sisamouth - Reab Kar Choal Bang

Sin Sisamouth - Srey Chet Roy Poan

Some of these songs bring back memories buried long ago, for example, every time I listen to the song “Bek Chan”, I still remember my mother telling me to fetch a plate or a cup for her. As a child, walking was never an acceptable choice, of course running with a cup or a plate could be perilous at time. Of course, breaking plates and cups during these errands for my mother was my childhood trademark, so much so that my mother used to tell me: “Ah kaun day phleung cheung moan អាកូន ដៃភ្លើង ជើងមាន់” (literally meaning the child with fire in his hands and pecking chicken legs, i.e. the destroyer-child). I hope you will enjoy these songs as much as I do.

Until next time, fare well!

P from Long Beach
---------

PS: I noted that some of you have either berated me in your comments by accusing me of being a royalist, while others openly use my signature to post insults or to curse others. As a rule of thumb, I do not post comments on KI-Media, therefore shame on those people who use my name to curse others. Cursing others is not acceptable to me, if I have something to say to somebody, I will say it in that person’s face. As for those who accuse of me of being a royalist, I believe that it started when I corrected one of the KI-Media members who erroneously accused Sihanouk of doing something he never did. You see, attacking somebody with erroneous facts can only bring discredit on oneself, therefore one must not resort to such cheap tricks just to get the upper hand. Does that make me a royalist? Let me just simply state the following fact: on March 18, 1970, I felt as if a big piece of rock was taken off my chest, even though I had not even reached in my teen years yet. What was the reason for my elation of that day? Suddenly, we can openly talk about the misdeeds of Cambodia’s dictator-du-jour, the one who called himself “Le Prince rose” (the pink prince). Of course, from now on, the naysayers will now label me an “offspring of the Lonnolians”. Oh well, c’est la vie!

PPS: Some had also criticized me of wasting other people’s time by sending all these songs for posting because singing and dancing does not solve any of Cambodia’s problems. I agree to these critics up to a certain point. Let me explain myself: it is all up to each one of us on how to solve Cambodia’s problems. Some of you would advocate the Arab uprising model, while others would even advance arm struggles. Being with limited means, I do not have the resource or know-how to advocate these radical solutions, to me, Cambodians need to eat, educate themselves, know their environment and their rights before they can act. The question is how to educate people simply enough? In the old days, during the resistance against French colonialism, Cambodians came up with several struggling means: (1) by using religion to spread out the words of French tyranny, and (2) by using popular shows, such as Chapey Dorng Veng songs interpreted by Kram Ngoy, to teach the people. All that I am saying is that, the tools are there, it is up to you to adopt and adapt them to your needs. The question is: Can you do it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

make sure you and me are not trapped in the abyss of madness: finalite nevrotique?

EY

Anonymous said...

When you made comments about something, you put yourself in a position to be criticized by others who do not share your ideas. It is normal to be criticized and chastized by others. You should not take it too seriously. You can never please everyone on this planet If you do not like to be criticised, then do not post any comments or just stay away from the comment section. I like the songs that posted in.

Anonymous said...

Mr. P from Long Beach,

Once again, thank you very much for the songs posted.

The songs certainly bring back memories buried long ago and no doubt I enjoy all of them very much.

By the way, I know instantly that the comments posted by those who used your pseudoname are not your comments. The writing style and the level of English used in those comments speak for themselves that the comments are not yours!

Pissed off

Anonymous said...

no need to worry for those who have criticizing you. just be happy and go lucky - with your bicycle and a trash plastic bag, riding along anaheim street picking up cans. you may run into mee kmao and the rest is yourstory!

good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

bfd!