Tuesday, July 31, 2012

After Beehive Arrest, Concerns Spread Amid Civil Society

Mam Sonando was arrested in mid-July and accused of leading a secessionist movement in Kratie province, charges that are widely believed to be fabricated.

Rights workers say Mam Sonando’s detention has spread a message of fear and is hurting Cambodia’s fledgling democracy.

31.07.2012
By Sok Khemara, VOA Khmer

WASHINGTON DC - Human rights workers say the arrest of Beehive Radio owner Mam Sonando has caused concern throughout civil society of further arrests and prosecution in a large-scale crackdown.

Mam Sonando was arrested in mid-July and accused of leading a secessionist movement in Kratie province, charges that are widely believed to be fabricated.

Some observers say it may have been his participation in and broadcast of a series of forums by a US-based group seeking to topple the administration of Prime Minister Hun Sen that led to the arrest. Authorities have arrested a number of suspects linked to the Kratie incident, but they are still seeking others.

Rights workers say Mam Sonando’s detention has spread a message of fear and is hurting Cambodia’s fledgling democracy.

Ou Virak, head of the Cambodian Center for Human Rights, said rights workers and other advocates need to be able to do their work.


“The arrest is a message to other activists in other provinces, and this is the issue we are concerned about today,” he said.

Meanwhile, the government’s inability to solve the spreading problem of land seizures and disputes threatens to destabilize parts of society, he said.

Villagers in Kratie province, where Mam Sonando is accused of inciting anti-government behavior, were in fact violently protesting in a land dispute.

More disputes mean more involvement by rights workers, Ou Virak said, but Mam Sonando’s arrest bodes ill for them.

“If there is no solution, the government will start to oppress by arresting many activists,” he said. “I believe that there will be more arrests of human rights activists in the years 2012 and 2013, especially before the election in 2013.”

Analysts say the government should consider the effects of a large-scale crackdown under the idea of secession, since it can affect its reputation regionally, especially going into a major summit for Asean countries in November.

Lao Monghay, an independent political analyst, said the Beehive arrest and other recent crackdowns have created “fear and self-censorship” among rights workers, especially in seeking Mam Sonando’s release.

“They do not dare to do stronger,” he said. “When it comes to the protection of Mam Sonando, it seems not fully as active as the freeing of 13 Boeung Kak land-grab victims.” He was referring to efforts by local and international groups to have 13 protesters released in Phnom Penh after their arrest in a demonstration.

Some NGOs have not come to the aid of Mam Sonando because they don’t know which groups he belongs to, Lao Monghay said.

The crackdown that began with villagers in Kratie province and included the arrest of Mam Sonando may not be over. Hun Sen has warned he will take serious action against any groups seeking to topple his regime. He has appealed to leaders of the protests in Kratie to seek amnesty and become witnesses.

One leader of the Kratie villagers, Bun Rotha, remains in hiding. Speaking to VOA Khmer by phone Friday, he said he had helped gather villagers together to protest land seizures, but he denied he had been part of a secessionist movement.

A reliable source close to police told VOA Khmer that some NGOs will be investigated over the Kratie land dispute and alleged protection of Bun Rotha.

“I have no connection to NGOs or institutions as a backbone or shelter at all,” he said. “But I like collaboration. If they have good policies, a just will, and real integrity, I will contact them. That is what I like.”

Major rights groups like Adhoc and Licadho say they have not received any summonses from police or the courts.

Chan Saveth, lead investigator for Adhoc, said he has been working carefully on the case of Mam Sonando, “because we do not have clear information.” Adhoc has provided legal support to land victims in the protests, he said.

Licadho investigator Am Sam Ath said rights groups have an obligation to help support victims in land grabs and other abuses. The government should cooperate with them, rather than prosecute them, he said.

“This is a threat and stymies the freedom of participation in protecting and promoting human rights in Cambodia,” he said.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said the arrest was conducted legally and that government officials and NGO workers alike can be arrested in they are implicated in illegal activities.

He said that NGOs that “play an important role in opposing the government” are “wrong.”

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

sonondo and group of Khmer cheater are real gangster he belong to Preysar

Anonymous said...

Here again. I see all children attending the protest, don't they have school? Why don't the parent do the protest instead? Do you see the other country sending children to the war and do protest? This is very stupidity and such dum shit. I wouldn't be sending my kids to do the protest. That's bullshit.

former KR

Anonymous said...

It's me again. Let's me ask you child!..if Morm Sonondo meant to be released from jail, do you think he is going to provide you food Hah? Morm Sonondo, he only care for his family NOT for you child. Only CPP can help and provide you food when you need it. So, go to school instead of seating your ass on the street and crying, demanding to release of the man.

former KR

Anonymous said...

H.S will PUNISH by ROUNTASS BANH soon.KAMM NING TAMM PHDORNN TEAR KORTT NING CHEAR POUM KHANN.
SROMAUCH SY TREI

Anonymous said...

4:38 AM brain damage you don't know how good and bad .

former Khmer Rouge 4:41 AM
You know why they don't send men to protest at Boeung Kak and why they send children to protest? because they live with Prime minister KVAK PNEK (blind) ....they can arrest anyone but with children they'll think twice.

Takeo said...

Cambodian democracy and freedom will never happen under Hun Sen's yuon regime. Cambodia will become Khmer Krom 2 very soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey former KR 4:47 AM, that's what I felt from the begining that you're one of CPP puppet. Remember you stated that you don't belong to any parties? What a jerk. Your brand name
never change heh?. Khmer rough still support khmer rough, what's a shame! No wonder Cambodians still suffering until now because all your dumb shit khmer roughs don't give a shit but to your own benefit!
I bet you already converted yourself to Christian just like your comrade Duch, because you can't face the truth either, right?

Anonymous said...

Hey Pal 5:17 AM,

Yes I admitted that I was not belong to any parties, but since I live and work under the CPP and I am a cop, so I have to follow what they have ordered me to do, my job as a cop working night and some day shift and I see what have been going in the country. Do you live abroad? If you live in Cambodia you would know and you probably would face the same like me. Right pal? Please don't used the word 'Shit or ass' to me, sorry I don't get use to it.

former KR

Anonymous said...

To ah former Khmer Rouge,

5:52Am

You are a stupid COP in the WORLD.

You are still stupidest like Khmer

Rouge.

Anonymous said...

Former KR
Are you a COP? do you go to Police academy school?How long?. so if H.S order and push you to RAPE your sister.what you reaction?. you will RAPE her by H.S order?
AH POLICE THORKK TEARPP.[CHESS OURTH TOVV KEUTT].

Anonymous said...

"stupidity and such dum shit"
"That's bullshit"
"instead of seating your ass"
@5:52 AM>
Get use to it, because you did using it all these phrases above, according to your 2 comments earlier.
I told you that your brand name never change. All the bullshits and dramas just like your boss ah Hun Sen.
Anymore bullshits you want to explain pal? Bring it on, I'm here to teach you.

Anonymous said...

It is democracy country,

They have rights to speak
They have the rights of expression ,

It normal for democracy country
Liked RFA lived in DC, they knew rules of law..

Anonymous said...

YOU SOUND LIKE YUON!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey guy at 7:22 AM,
Sounds like you are a good fighter, Right? Years ago, I have met with a Khmer guy came from the US, he knew that I was a Khmer Rouge man, first he was nice to me and then we had an argument, the argument was not because he knew I was a KR, it was about the street patrol, he called and used bad word toward to the other cop, so I came to solve the problem and he started wanted to meet me somewhere and wanted to get into a fight. I then met him with many people in the jungle, the guy was tallest then me but not strong, he had no muscle, he was a skinny man, he cannot push me, because I had big body, body-builder, I get lot of muscle then him and finally he gave up. So, if you try or want to meet me, that’s fine pal, when you or if you are in Cambodia, I would probably send my staff to teach you instead. I am professional, not a mean guy, but don’t start, I have staff work under me, so if you want to try, you are welcome. Am I clear to you?

Former Khmer Rouge soldier

Anonymous said...

Hey ah khmer rough @ 10:10 PM> It's sounds very scarry, but I don't give a shit. I only have one life to live, why not. I told you, your brand name never change! Show me, bitch.
You want to pick a fight just do it one on one, why bring all your gangs to fight? That's means you only know how to talk shit just like your boss ah Hun Sen, and telling everybody else to do the dirty work. Stop all the bullshits, dumb-ass!

Anonymous said...

Hey ah khmer rough @ 10:10 PM>
You're professional? You sound more like ganster from nowhere.
"Stop all the bullshits" All the people who supported CPP, including you are just plain dumb and ignorant.

Ah dumb khmer rough, I start whenever I want, and wherever I want, what you gonna do about it, lick my ass? I felt itchy.

Anonymous said...

Hey, ah DUMB KR @ 10:10 PM.
You don't sound like professional, you sound more like criminal to me and to most KI-Media bloggers. Anymore dramas you want to play? Dumb-ass!