Friday, August 28, 2009

Cambodians Still Traumatized

Former Khmer Rouge prison commander, Kaing Guek Eav (C), sits in the Extraordinary Chamber in the Courts of Cambodia in Phnom Penh, Feb. 17, 2009. (AFP)

2009-08-27

Radio Free Asia

Will the long-awaited trial of Khmer Rouge leaders ease Cambodians' trauma, or stir painful memories?

PHNOM PENH—A Cambodian psychiatrist has testified at the trial of a confessed Khmer Rouge torturer that up to 40 percent of Cambodians suffer psychological trouble as a result of the faction’s brutal four-year rule.

“According to research conducted after the Khmer Rouge period, two out of five Cambodians have [suffered] mental problems and psychosocial crises. This figure is high—up to 40 percent” of the population, Chhim Sotheara said.

Studies this year also found that some 14 percent of Cambodians aged 18 and older have suffered post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Chhim Sotheara testified at the trial of Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch, who commanded a Khmer Rouge torture center when the group was in power from 1975-79.

“During the Khmer Rouge regime, people were trained not to trust each other. This has continued among Cambodians today,” said Chhim Sotheara, of the Transcultural Psychosocial Organization, which promotes community mental health programs,

He added that Duch’s trial offers a chance for Khmer Rouge victims to heal through the administration of justice.

Painful memories

The Journal of the American Medical Association this month published new research by experts at the University of North Carolina that found most Cambodians feared the tribunal would stir up painful memories.

Those who most wanted revenge were also likely to suffer PTSD, they wrote.

Some 87.2 percent of Cambodians 35 or older believed trying Khmer Rouge leaders would stir painful memories, they found, adding, "Now that the trials have begun, longitudinal research is needed to determine the impact of the trials on Cambodians' mental health."

Duch is the first of five senior Khmer Rouge figures scheduled to face long-delayed trials and the only one to acknowledge responsibility for his actions. His trial, which started in March, is expected to finish before the end of the year.

He could face life imprisonment. Cambodia has no death penalty.

Original reporting by Leng Maly for RFA’s Khmer service. Translated by Sothea Thai. Khmer service director: Sos Kem. Executive producer: Susan Lavery. Written and produced in English by Sarah Jackson-Han.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to hear the words that Cambodians are still traumatized by Pol Pot's action which was 30 or 40 years ago. To me, this is just an excuse Hun Sen used to convince donor countries to get aids. In Long Beach, CA, Cambodian people used it as excused to apply welfare money. Look Dude! money don't grow on the trees. The money you received as aids/welfare is from taxpayers and as taxpayers, we works real hard to earn it while portion of it was taken to pay out to you who sit down and do nothing. I am ashamed to hear that 30 years have passed but people still live on aids/welfare. What ashamed!

Anonymous said...

Chakrupot Americ bombed in Cambodia during the 1970s and did not help Cambodia. I’ve been watching the news regarding the Khmer Rouge trail, I do not know when it would be over, probably until all Khmer (Cambodian) death and then it is over of the Khmer Rouge trail and there won’t be any more Cambodia country on the face of the earth. Let’s take a look at the daily life style of the Phnom Penh people who I can’t identify them if they are real Khmer or not, only the dark one like me I can identify. I reside in the Western part in Siam Reap; I don’t see this kind of people in where I am. If I do I would be dare taking care of it. I don’t want foreigner to come to my country and start to change Khmer tradition and culture and turn Cambodia down. I wish I could go back to the revolutionary living tradition, every body was very clean. The victory day of April 17, 1975, the wealthy, educator arrogant people Angkar took care of it; democratic Kampuchea did not keep those enemies. I committed to following revolutionary Angkar, I saluted Angkar what Angkar put me through. So Cambodian abroad must stand up fight with any enemy who wants to destroy Cambodia, forget the Khmer Rouge (Khmer), remember we all Khmer. It is vesting of time; we should put the money to save poor Cambodian instead.

(Those who writes long sentence like a whole book I won’t read it. Thanks.)

AngkorianMan Krama Man

Anonymous said...

10:37 AM,

You twisted history by revealing only one side of the story. If you said American bombed Cambodia in 1970 you should state also the reason why American did it. You said Angkar (Khmer Roughe) take care of the wealthy, the educator arrogant you should mention also how your glorious Angkar did it. To my knowledge, the whole khmer population was held at the concentration camp against their will and they are subject to all kinds of mistreatments which include starving, intimidation, killing, overworking. For what Angkar had done to its own people, you are still admiring your glorious Angkar? Judging from what you said it looks like you are one of the khmer Rouge cadre. If this true, how many innocent khmers did you kill during Khmer Rouge reign from 1975 to 1979.

Anonymous said...

To 9:48 PM,

Well, my friend…yes I was a former Khmer Rouge cadre, but I was a good soldier I had had never killed anyone of my people. Now, I am currently living in the Western part of Siam Reap province. I jointed Khmer Rouge cadre since late 1975 and Angkar put me to patrol along the boarder side of the country. I was under the Khmer Rouge cadre superintendent. Once again, Khmer Rouge (Khmer) NOT all of them bad, brutal, abuse as to what most people stated. Most of our Cambodian people always blame to the Khmer Rouge, I understand that Khmer Rouges had a bad reputation for Cambodia and to the Cambodian people. Do you think ALL Khmer Rouge cadres are cruel? Let’s take a look around where you live whether abroad or in Cambodia, do you think the people who around are they greater then Khmer Rouges? After the Fall of Khmer Rouge, do you think you could live now freely? My friend…absolutely not, my understanding is human being now it seems worse then Khmer Rouges. I hope you understand my point. I wish I could go back to the revolutionary living tradition, every body was very clean. I hate this living society now. Don’t you?

(those who write long sentence like a book I won’t have time to read it. Thanks)

Angkorian Krama Man

All khmer are Kmher Rough said...

Hi, all cambodian friends. To me all khmers are kmher rough with the
exception of those who born after
1978. Why? Because we all decide
to sacrified for Anhkar, no one
dare to stand up and still the AK47
from one of the soldir to kill them
one by one. The one that run to
Vietnam to ask for help is because
they have inner circle prolem (No
Power Ballance) Even I am 7yrs old
at the time I'm khmer rough too,
because i do not have oppotunity to
stand up and fight................

Anonymous said...

Angkorian man,
Yes, I understand your point. If you hate this society, why don’t you go back to where you belong? You should be on trial with Duch because you were support the KR to destroy their country and kill those innocent people. Very shameful that Cambodia has Khmer like you.

Anonymous said...

9:48pm

I am strongly agreed with your commant. It is so bad that our sociaty still have the foolish people like Angkorian man.

Anonymous said...

10:48 PM, I disagreed with you when you claimed that we were all Khmer Rouge with the exception of kids born after 1978. Khmer Rouge killed, starved khmer people to death whereas we, the people, have nothing to do with the killings. We were the victims and the prisoners of Khmer Rouge. Just because we, the victims and the prisoners were forced at gunpoint to live with the Khmer Rouge did not make us Khmer Rouge.

Anonymous said...

Angkorian Man,
I find it hard to believe that as Khmer Rouge soldier, you had never killed Khmers. Your statement can convince only the people who had never live under your Khmer Rouge reign. To me and Million of other Khmer people, who witnessed the Killing, you cannot twisted the facts. I understand that Cambodian living condition is now worse because of corruption and Viet dominance in Cambodia. However, I decline to agree to the return of your glorious Angkar. It appears to me that two million people killed is not enough for you and your glorious Angkar and you want to come back to finish the job once and for all. It's about time you stop blaming others for the downfall of Khmer Nation. It was obviously your glorious Angkar and Sihanouk who invited Vietcong/North Vietnamese to come and conquer Cambodia.